Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is really slow on the new best MacBook Pro 15inc

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helppp please,

I'm a event photographer and my old MacBook Pro (13inc late 2011 I7 8 Ram) was too slow when editing in Lightroom so I bought the newest  MacBook Pro 15inc I7 2.7 16 Ram but its still almost at the same speed of my old MacBook when using Lightroom and I don't understand what am I doing wrong, I changed once the MacBook it self cause I thought it may be a problem with only this MacBook but it didn't helped.

I started using 1:1 smart previews also didn't helped so much. I watched a lot of youtube videos of how to speed up Lightroom but nothing helped. I have 43000 photos on my catalog but also when I tried using a new catalog it didn't helped.

Every time I go to the next photo it takes time till it loaded then I'm pasting my preset and it also takes lots of time when I want to crop or change some settings its has like 1-3 seconds delay and I need to edit like that thousands of Raw's.

All the Raw's that I'm editing are stored on my MacBook's SSD.

What can be wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size (in pixels) is your monitor?

What size (in pixels or megapixels) are your original photos?

Are you doing a lot of brushing and/or a lot of spot healing?

Is the catalog file and previews on an SSD?

When you go to the next photo and the loading is slow, are you talking about the Library Module or the Develop module or both or neither or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My monitor is 2880 x 1800

My photos 6016 x 4016

no brushing and spot healing at all

Catalog and previews are on SSD

I'm talking about the Develop module there I'm working on them 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now tell me about your hardware in the computer ... what is the exact CPU, what is the GPU (if you have one), how much memory?

Also, have you tried changing the setting on the GPU acceleration (go to Preferences, click on the Performance tab, and then change the setting of "Use Graphics Processor")?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

I actually just spoke to someone from adobe support and we did some changes in the MacBook settings and LR settings so I really hop it will be better, but if you have any recommendations? I'll be more then happy to hear!

he told me to unchecked the GPU in LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your use and with either of those graphics card enabled I expect the setting with the GPU on to be much faster. You should get very smooth slider behavior especially with the radeon card running (typically only when you connect your machine to power). The most important setting to change is to make sure the standard preview is of the right size. In Catalog Settings, go to File handling and set the preview size to "Auto" which will default to 2880 pixels in your case. If it is set to anything lower, you'll get constant delays as it will rebuild and delete previews all the time. Other than that, problems can be caused by having facial recognition turned on or by having an antivirus scanner running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you man!

It is set on auto but it says Auto (3360px), may that be the problem?

I don't have any antivirus tho

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samtobinana  wrote

Thank you man!

It is set on auto but it says Auto (3360px), may that be the problem?

I don't have any antivirus tho

No that is probably the correct setting for this display. It just needs to be higher than the screen resolution. So probably not the problem. You can try resetting Lightroom's preferences (hold option and shift while starting Lightroom) and make sure you have the latest version installed (2015.10 or 6.10)

where can I find that info?

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 that the only thing written in the overview and system information

Apple doesn't make that info available. Not on their website nor anywhere in the OS. You can deduce it from the cache sizes and such if you really wanted but I doubt this would tell you anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPU make and model allows us to get some idea of how fast the CPU really is (yes, I know benchmarks aren't perfect). The reason this is important is that the generation of previews depends only on CPU speed and not GPU or memory. I have read somewhere (and maybe I am not recalling this properly) but the top of the line Macs are still somewhat underpowered compared to the top of the line CPUs that you can put in a Windows box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i actually have the same issue even though i have a 2.9Ghz with a 4gb GPU 2017 model.

I sold off my 2014 imac so that i can solely work of this as i was looking for mobility.

I just shot a wedding since i got the macbook 2 weeks ago and starting to edit the the 1000 raw files is a pain. same issues as samtobinana. reallllllly slow expecially after adding a batch preset to them all.

please give me guidance. do i need to take it back to apple store and show them? is it meant to run like this?

should i move to a different editing program??

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be specific. Exactly what actions are slow in Lightroom? Exactly what does the batch preset do? Details are important. Don't leave any details out.

Also, when you say "4gb CPU" what does that mean? Does it mean your computer has 4GB of memory? Can you state the exact CPU?

What camera?

What size (in pixels) is your monitor?

What is your GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issues as samtobinana. (his initial post)

I mentioned GPU not CPU.

Here are the details.

Camera is a Nikon. Does the same with a Sony.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4096 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67ef

Revision ID: 0x00c0

ROM Revision: 113-C980AJ-927

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.927

Metal: Supported

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina

Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera is a Nikon. Does the same with a Sony.

these are not cameras, these are brands. I want to know which Nikon camera and which Sony camera you are using.

Exactly the same issues as samtobinana. (his initial post)

You haven't mentioned what the preset you apply actually does.

I would also appreciate it if you would state the specific actions that you find slow, you mention "start to edit", exactly what does that mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mate, you are starting to be really irritating with your attitude.

I fail to believe you represent Adobe. You seem to ask for too much detail and still have no answer, you've provided no insight into the problem at all. You just keep asking more and more specific questions to look smart. You are not even reading the posts properly and arrogantly asking me "what do I mean by 4gb CPU" when I said GPU.  You failed to help anyone else on this thread. I clearly mentioned twice I have the same issue as samtobinana but you just don't seem to address the actual problem. Focusing on other details to then ask even more questions.

It seems you are out to just get points.

You failed to help anyone else on this thread. It seems you are out to just get points.

Just don't reply anymore coz you got no clue what's going on.

This is not how you speak to an Adobe customer. You are too arrogant and irritating. At least if you had some answers.

Pls don't reply anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't represent Adobe. I don't work for Adobe.

I have been in dozens of discussions where people say they have the exact same problem, and after lots of discussion and attempts to solve the problem, which get nowhere, we find out that the person does NOT have the exact same problem.

So I ask for information.

You haven't provided information about what cameras you are using, or what is in that preset, or exactly what in Lightroom is slow (although it may or may not be the same as the original poster, and the only way to find out is if you state what is slow). All of this information may be important pieces of information in this puzzle, but if you want the answer without providing that information, I'm not going to go there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you sir are bloody annoying.

Can someone help with this?

I am also having the same problem with the newest 15inch macbook pro.

Canon 5d MK III and Canon 6d MK 1 - same issue with both.

Takes about 1sec to go from preview to the next. Never use to happen with my older mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am disappointed to read of these problems. I'm a heavy lightroom user considering a Macbook Pro 15 purchase. Currently I move through Lightroom without any of the delays you're experiencing. I work exclusively with raw files. The desktop system I am using includes AMD X4 7750 Quad Core 3.4 running 8 GB memory (of which one stick is down) so really 4 GB. I would expect the MBP to be zooming through LR. Have you found any solutions elsewhere ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat, have a 4 week old MB Pro Touch 2017 model, with 16gb RAM, 2.9ghz processor and 512gb SSD.

Clean install of MacOS and LightRoom is unpleasantly sluggish to use, initially starts off fine but as soon as you apple some edits namely the adjustment brush it becomes super sluggish and can take a second more when you apply an adjustment for it to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just after saying all that there seems to be a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. adobe has just released an updated version (7.3) and I have only played with it briefly though it is faster. hopefully, this is not just for the first few days/weeks.

We are slowly moving in the right direction....finally. (after spending a tonne of hrs testing other products).

Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated yesterday and it's absolutely no different than the previous version.

Just to be sure it's not my system I did a full re-install of MacOS and a clean re-install of the latest version of LR without any noticeable improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just bought a new Macbook Pro 15, 2017 model, top of the line with 3.1 Ghz CPU and Radeon Pro 560 with 4Gb RAM, and guess what! Latest Lightroom Classic 7.3.1 release is painfully slow, especially in the editing sliders department, e.g. changing exposure, white balance is unbearably slow, it updates the image perhaps once a second instead of continuous smooth update like it used to be on my old Late 2013 macbook pro with nvidia gpu. What a shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

What is the exact CPU make and model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that what you mean? 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesn't tell me the model of the CPU, for example i7-6670K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can I find that info?

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7 that the only thing written in the overview and system information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines