• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow saving TIF in PS CC 2017

New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the new Photoshop CC 2017 (I think it was in april?)  saving tif files is becoming very slow. In the older versions there were no problems.

I think this only happens when a tif file has layers.

Also Photoshop forces often to save as a ZIP-ed tif (both are slow saving uncompressed and saving as ZIP).

I work with Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bart van Hoek,

As your tiff files are saving on a really low pace, Could you please let us know is this happening with all the files or a specific one?

Which exact version of Photoshop CC 2017 are you using?

Could you try resetting the preferences?

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sahil,

The resetting preferences didn't change a thing regarding this problem.

The slow saving happens with all the TIF-files, except the ones that have 1 layer.

The Photoshop version: 2017.1.1    20170425.r.252x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How full is your operating drive? Is this the same drive you have selected as your scratch drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Randy,

Operating drive 138 GB free of 232 GB disk total

It's the same drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to above: the operating drive is a SSD disk.

@randyhufford Is it good / bad that the operating drive is the same as the scratch drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the solution to your problem. It is very slow because the tiff is being saved in the background by using either the LZW or the ZIP compression. Both of them are useless. So here is what you need to do: shift+cmd+S for bringing up the SAVE AS dialogue, and there you will be able to select NONE for the compression. And lo and behold, you will save your file within seconds. Instead of ages, sometimes even 25 minutes if the . file is big. What surprises me that the helpdesk at Photoshop have absolutely no clue about this. I had to realize the source of the problem myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: forget working in tiff, use photoshop large document file. your life will be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did some performance tests on an uncompressed 3.75 gb TIF file, 8 bit, single layer, CC 2019 20.0.6 20190724.r.80. 9900K 5GHz, 16 gb RAM, SSD

Photoshop PSB (compressed): 0:15 min, 3.03 gb
Photoshop TIF (ZIP): 40 min (!), 1.16 gb

Gimp TIF (ZIP): 4 min, 1.2 gb

Irfanview TIF (ZIP): 2 min, 2.67 gb

All of these only use a single thread/core, but Photoshop's ZIP compression time is seriously bugged. Especially compared to Gimp, which is very close in file size, but ten times faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines