• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print Two Versions out of One InDesign - Leaving out Select Pages etc.

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started a new job and I'm working on a InDesign file that has the following:

The document is supposed to show two variations in certain sections. So, using the legend:

B = Both Variations

O = Variation one

T = Variation 2

The pages are spread as so:

BB

BB

BB

OT

BB

OT

TT

OO

BB

for example. Is there a way that I can print the "both pages and the one pages" and then print "both pages and the two pages" to create two PDV print versions?

Also, the previous owner of this document somehow put page numbers on the exported PDF, despite the program skipping pages. Does anyone know how they might have done this?

Thanks!

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to a Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

The second document would consist only of pages linked from the first one. These are placed InDesign pages directly linked to the first document, so any updates to the first document would be reflected in the second one as soon as you updated the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how it was done before, but I would handle this by creating a new InDesign document, and Placing the required pages directly from the other documents into the new one.

Automatic page numbers could then be applied in the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip however, wouldn't that require me to create and maintain two InDesign documents? Two versions need to be created form this document, and if I have two InDesign documents that means I need to keep them BOTH updated, as they may need to be changed over time.

So therefore, I still need a way to create two versions from one InDesign document, where only select pages are changed or different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second document would consist only of pages linked from the first one. These are placed InDesign pages directly linked to the first document, so any updates to the first document would be reflected in the second one as soon as you updated the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there SJRiegel, can you give me some tips of how to link the pages? I've looked through other sites and they all talk about a hyperlink, when I need the actual pages to be present to create two different versions of the same manual.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use File > Place, just as if you were placing a graphic.

Make sure that Show Import Options is checked, and you can then choose what page or pages to place.

It then shows in the links pallet like a graphic, and will update like a graphic when you make changes to the original.

Screenshot 2017-05-16 16.25.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines