Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Document to Xls

New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to export InDesign Document to xls?If is  it possible,then how to export InDesign Document to XLS using JavaScript?

I am able to convert only xml to xls.Please guide me.

My script is:

myXMLElement.exportFile(ExportFormat.xml, File("/c/partialDocumentXML.xls"));

Regards,

Revathi

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That's not a possible export format. Once that said, one may loop through document's contents and output to a CSV file. The latter can then be opened in Excel.

Loic

www.ozalto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Loic,

Thank You,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid the extra step of creating csv-file, InDesign can interact with Excel directly via Visual Basic Script (on Windows) or Apple Script (on Mac).

Also, you can mix JavaScript (the most popular language in InDesign scripting) with VBS/AS (languages available for scripting other apps). If you're interested, see here for examples.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kas,

I want to export my InDesign Document to excel.I think it is not possible.

Regards,

Revathi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Revathi,

Obviously there's no "Export to Excel' option in the File > Export menu so it isn't possible to export the whole file directly.

But it is possible to send some data from inDesign to Excel.

Off the top of my head, here are a few ways:

• If you have an xml-structured document, via xml export
  • collect data by script -- e.g. contents of text frames/find text by specific attributes/etc. -- and save it to csv-file to be imported to Excel later
  • the same as the previous point, but save it directly to a spreadsheet
  • Also, for tables, you can simply copy-paste a selection via clipboard

Which of the above mentioned approaches suits your specific needs best is for you to decide. Anyway, I don't see what sort of documents you have -- a catalog, a table with with prices, etc. -- so can't give you more specific recommendations.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kas,

I have to get a excel with product name and price. At first,I have got this from xml using TOC in a InDesign document.Now,I have to export this details from InDesign document to excel.I have to do this using javascript.I have got the InDesign document with product name and price using script(TOC).Now I have to export my document to excel.How can I do this by using script?Could you please guide me?

Regards,

Revathi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines