• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the proper way to set up saddle-stitched booklet layout with separated cover?

New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the proper way to set up saddle-stitched booklet layout with separated cover?

Saddle%20Stitched.jpg

I am going to create a booklet as shown above.

It's going to be saddle stitched. And the cover and the inside pages are going to be different stock.

My current method is to have two separate files for cover and inside pages so I can easily output two files for printing. But the client also wants a "soft" pdf proof with all pages in correct order(so the cover file will be split into front cover and back cover and be placed at both end of the inside pages).

Is there a proper way to set up file for this kind of jobs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Hi Steven,

I see no problem at all working in one document.

Provided the ICC output profile is the same for all pages.

If not, because the printers are doing the cover with e.g. coated and all inside pages with uncoated stock, you are facing some hurdles if doing all within one document. Not a real problem, but you have to be aware that you should do use different output settings for cover and inner pages.

However, if you want to present the customer one single PDF/X file where two different kinds o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, if the book is going to be printed in saddle-stitch, it needs to have a page count that is divisible by 4. If you add a front and back cover, you will be off by 2, and because you are adding a page to the front of the book, it will throw all of your right pages to the left, and your left pages to the right. To fix that, you should add two blank pages. One after the cover, to let your first page be on the right where it belongs, and another before the back cover, so it can be on the left. That will mean adding 4 pages to your inside material, and keeping your page count divisible by 4. Even if you don't expect someone with the soft copy to print this to a printer that can duplex and bind, it will look better (in my opinion). If you don't agree, you can just add the cover to the front and the back cover at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I do aware that. I have artworks on the inside of both covers.

My booklet will be 20 pages(including covers) so my current set up is to have page 1,2,19,20(which is front and back covers) on one file and page 3-18(inside pages) on another.

I am looking for a proper(or possible) way to (without changing the current file setup) to output a pdf file with all pages in correct order. So far I tried creating a book file and messing with the page/chapter numbers. But it will only output pdf with all files stacked together. (i.e. I throw in my cover file with page 1,2,19,20 and then inside pages file with page 3-18. And it will output a pdf that ordered as 1,2,19,20,3,4,5,6...18)

I feel I might did this wrong but I want to know if there is proper/better way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's going to be saddle stitched. And the cover and the inside pages are going to be different stock.

Uwe assumed your interior sheet is uncoated, but is that really the case or is the cover simply a heavier weight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I did not assume that.

Only wanted to discuss the situation, if it is.

🙂

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

where two different kinds of paper stock should be simulated or colors color managed differently, then you can tell the customer: No, that's not possible.

I think a case could be made for working in separate cover and text documents, and for the client proof "baking in" the CMYK appearance by exporting to an RGB destination, then combining the docs in Acrobat. In that case you could show two different appearances for the same CMYK colors within a single PDF.

So here's an extreme example. The swatches in these two docs have the same CMYK values, but very different previews because of the assigned profiles—ISO Coated vs. US Newsprint SNAP:

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.02.11 AM.png

I can export to Document RGB:

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.08.44 AM.png

Combine the two exports in Acrobat and maintain the different appearances for the same CMYK colors in the merged PDF:

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 10.08.03 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the previous poster, you can have a "self cover" or "separate cover" book meaning it's printed on separate (usually heavier) stock.

Obviously with a separate cover it's printed at a different time to the the inside. I found two files make it clearer.

(Also there's a maximum number of pages available for a saddle stitched book, the number depending on the weight of the paper.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I feel the same way.

The problem is the client want to see a pdf with all pages together in correct order. So is there any better method other than output to separate files and then reorder/combine them in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set it up as one document with facing pages for your customer to approve. After approval, export it to PDF (as mentioned) selecting separate pages (not spreads) for your printer to impose, and tick Use Document Bleed Settings, to be found under the Marks and Bleeds tab. Your printer should advise you whether they want trim marks (and any other printers marks) selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

I see no problem at all working in one document.

Provided the ICC output profile is the same for all pages.

If not, because the printers are doing the cover with e.g. coated and all inside pages with uncoated stock, you are facing some hurdles if doing all within one document. Not a real problem, but you have to be aware that you should do use different output settings for cover and inner pages.

However, if you want to present the customer one single PDF/X file where two different kinds of paper stock should be simulated or colors color managed differently, then you can tell the customer: No, that's not possible. Yet, PDF is not at the point that different output intents are supported with one PDF file, but that will change with PDF 2.0 soon. Let's see when InDesign will support this.

Back to working in one document with all 20 pages.

Example with facing pages for the cover:

( Maybe it's to your personal convenience to work on facing pages with cover pages where cover page 4 is left to cover page 1. )

4 Sections in the document:

Section 1 is the back cover ( also named cover page 4 ),

section 2 is cover plus cover page 2

section 3 is cover page 3

20,1 is the outer cover.

2,19 is the inner cover.

Section 4 starts the range of pages for the inner pages beginning with page 3:

20PagesSattleStidged-ExtraCoverAtBeginning.png

Output for cover would be:

EDIT: 20,1,2,19 1,2,19,20 where possibly 20,1 and 2,19 could be exported as spreads.

Output for inside pages would be:

3-18

Output for client—if the client does not want to see backcover and cover in one spread:

1,2,3-18,19,20

Without facing pages for the cover:

Simply have a 20 page document starting with page 1 right from the spine and ending with page 20 left from the spine.

Output page numbers would be the same from above.

Starting inside pages with page number 1:

Add a new section on page 3 beginning counting with 1 and ending on page 18.

Start a new section on page 19 that will be cover page 3.

Perhaps use a different naming scheme for the cover:

C1, C2, C3, C4.

When exporting to PDF best use absolute page numbers for the cover pages:

Output for cover would be:

+1,+2,+19,+20

Output for inside pages could be:

+3-+18

Or:

1-18

Output for client:

All

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow!

I think this IS the best way!

Thanks a lot!! ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic answer Uwe!

+1

That's not to say the other comments from other people weren't helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines