• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign [Adobe software] crashing computer

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last week or so I've been having major problems with all the Adobe Software, randomly it will completely freeze and stop my iMac in it's tracks and the only way to get out of it is to turn it off and on again. I've tried uninstalling all the software and deleting preferences but it keeps happening! Has anyone else had the same problem? Illustrator​ InDesign​

[Following further investigation InDesign has been revealed as the culprit - Accordingly thread has been moved to InDesign Forum by Moderator]

[Subject of thread has also been modified by Moderator to reflect this information]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a lot more information... Can you post us your Mac specifications? Can you take a screenshot/photo of the Activity Monitor when you run the adobe software so that we can see what happens?

Also, sorry to ask but how do you know specifically that its definitely Adobe? What reasons cause you to suspect this?

I'm not saying your wrong... but computers can freeze for a whole host of reasons... So I want to eliminate what you may have already checked etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also can you tell us what adobe software this seems to happen on? As well as the version of each bit of Adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Illustrator and Indesign that I use most of the time and generally have them both open. All are CC and have had the latest 2017 updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you turn off the GPU performance from InDesign preferences and then see if you face the crash?(same with illustrator)

Or better still, upgrade to 'Mac OS' 10.12.5

This should solve your problem. Do let us know

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry either I missed that you were talking about Mac OS or you edited your post to clarify...

Have deleted my previous comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

I initially wrote 10.12.5...after your comment I edited it to clarify MAC OS 10.12.5

JIVE was slow so had to open a new browser to edit it.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive-Meme.jpg

Meme my own quick making... I can hear the groans now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman,

When I click on About this Mac and click on Software update is says that there are no updates available in the App Store, is there a way to manually do it?

I have a feeling that I did the GPU performance and preferences on InDesign the other day but I'll double check and make sure they both have it turned off.

Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am sorry but I am not sure about the "how" of your first question. As far as i know 10.12.5 was released a few days back...

Do ensure that you turn off the below highlighted preference (if you do not upgrade to 10.12.4, if you upgrade then please use GPU)..

Picture1.png

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If NONE of the above works... roll back InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame the answer wasn't 'hit it with a hammer'!

And thanks @amaarora too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lou,

Did turning off GPU Performance solve the issue for you or did you end up having to install a previous version? Let us know if you need further assistance.

(Thanks Aman and James for your help, as always!)

Best,

Wren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh the good old days of "Just Whack It" Or "Hit it with a hammer"...

I miss those days....

Who needs anger management anyway right??!!??...

P.S. always a pleasure wrensauer​ never a chore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a couple of screen shots not sure if this is what you meant or not? Apologies although I'm a bit computer savvy, I'm not good with all the tech bits!

Spec: iMac (retina 4k, 21.5 inch, late 2015)

Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

I'm 99% sure that it's either one or more of the adobe programmes causing it as it only ever happens when they are running or I'm in the middle of doing something on them but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong! It's crashed 3 times already this morning.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and I wiped the system preferences on InDesign - I think that is everything I've tried so far!

Any help or pointers you could give me would be amazing and really appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.07.11.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.07.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind re-doing the first screenshot for memory and ordering it by highest to lowest for bytes written?

Also may I ask if your doing something like working on extremely intensive files in Illustrator or InDesign? Have you got some artwork that is unnecessarily large in size?

Could you also post screenshots for the Help > About Illustrator... InDesign etc..

Just covering the basics here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash with only one programme open or both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 11.49.18.png

Here's the new screen shot. I've shut down both Illustrator and Indesign and I've not had any crashes so far (it crashed earlier when I was using Word but I still had them open in the background. I'm going to try using one at a time to see if it's only when I've got both open that it does - I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely appears to be InDesign that is causing the crashes - even if I'm using another programme like Word or using the internet with Indesign open in the background. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign is it... I get that it's CC2017 but is it 12.0.0.81? or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.1.0.56 Build and no Illustrator does not appear to be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok should I move this thread to the InDesign Forum more specifically then?

What do you think Monika Gause​?

Part of me is tempted to say... try resetting your preferences and then if no improvement... try rolling back to a more stable update??

I'm using 12.0.0.81 atm for work as you may have guessed.... I tend to let these updates run a little while longer before updating my work one so that they get any kinks that may be present like this out.... IF indeed this is a kink... Could still be an issue that relates specifically to your computer of course...

Any ideas BarbBinder​?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify... Illustrator is no longer the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest InDesign is causing a lot of issues.

Maybe the InDesign forum can be of more help.

But maybe just installing a previous version can solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines