Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Win LR Cat on USB stick creates date subfolders when opened on other Win-PC

New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(LR 2015.8 on Win 10 PCs)

I have a test-catalog and the associated videos (only) on a USB stick, created on PC-1; When I open that catalog in LR on PC-2, LR finds the folder but it adds some subfolders, each representing "the day taken". As these folders do not actually exist on the drive, LR can't find the videos and thus only thumbnails!

It seems that it happens only with videos, and strangely enough only with USB sticks, not USB disks(?)!

Is there a way to change that "LR behaviour" (to do its internal grouping into folders)?? Or is it just(!) a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

LR knows that your USB memory stick is not an actual hard drive, and LR will work really hard to prevent you from keeping the photos and videos on that memory stick due to it being a temporary file location.

That said, if you really want LR to reference the files on the memory stick as the permanent original files, in the Import dialog make sure you have the "add" option selected at the top of the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably Windows that is changing the drive letter.

But ... only you can determine if that's what is really happening or not. What was the drive letter of the USB stick on PC1? What is the drive letter on PC2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made sure they have the same drive letter (Q, btw) on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it that you see that leads you to say: LR can't find the videos and thus only thumbnails!

Please provide enough details so we can understand what you are seeing, or show us a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually it seems that when I on PC1 import the video files from USB stick (Q) LR puts copies on to the C drive "Pictures" folder (with a sub folder for year and under that sub folders for each month-day) and I would assume that the catalog (created and saved on Q) then points to the C drive - and when moving to PC2 those folders and files obviously does not exist on that C drive.

I can submit a screen dumps if that would make it any clearer?

Later: I just suddenly realised that I should change the import dialogue to point to my USB (Q) !

Strange thing is that when I do the same thing with a USB disk (and import is kept to the C-disk) it works on both PCs..... (and nothing is in the C "Pictures" folder) !?

Also in LR (PC2) the only folder shown is the USB disk folder containing the video files (i.e. no ubfolders).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR knows that your USB memory stick is not an actual hard drive, and LR will work really hard to prevent you from keeping the photos and videos on that memory stick due to it being a temporary file location.

That said, if you really want LR to reference the files on the memory stick as the permanent original files, in the Import dialog make sure you have the "add" option selected at the top of the dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot ManiacJoe!

That explains it - and with your remark on the "add" option I will be able to do what I want!

Once again thanks for your great support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines