• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign booklet single page A5 file

New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designed a booklet in inDesign. I have got it into PDF format for the printers, but they have asked to send as a single A5 file as their system automatically imposes single pages to booklet. To get the PDF I printed booklet to a postscript file then converted in Acrobat.

I have done some googling and can't find the answer on how to do this? Is this a setting in inDesign or a step when convert postscript file?

Would really appreciate some help with this. I am very much a inDesign novice so this is a new request for me.

Thanks in advance.

Claire

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claire:

First of all, you don't need to print to a Postscript file and then distill to a PDF—that's an outdated workflow. A better workflow is to simply use File > Export to Adobe PDF (Print).

but they have asked to send as a single A5 file as their system automatically imposes single pages to booklet

Now to clarify the desired output, they asking for the file to be output in the print order, 1, 2, 3, 4 and not as a booklet, right? In that case, just export the file—each A5 page will appear sequentially in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I have done this and sent to the printers. He did not really clarify exactly what he wanted,

BarbBinder

but they have asked to send as a single A5 file as their system automatically imposes single pages to booklet

Quote is exactly what he asked for. I am awaiting his reply.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting to PDF gives me the first page and last page as A5, all the in between are 2up A4. Is there a way I can export it so each page in an individual A5 on the PDF? I wonder if I have missed a setting

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claire:

The first question I have is are all the pages A5 in InDesign? The pages panel would look something like this:

InDesign CCss_015.png

And as for the export, File > Export to Adobe PDF (Print): are the pages set to Pages or Spreads?

InDesign CCss_016.png

Once you get to Acrobat, you can control the view to see single pages or spreads with View > Page Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again for your reply. Yes the pages panel looks like that. When I hit export it does not come up with the export pdf window you have shown. However I think I have solved it a different way. I defined a new adobe preset and set viewing > layout to single page. This appeared to set the pdf to single pages. I am waiting to hear from the printer if this is tight, sure will hear tomorrow. If there another way though I be keen to hear it.

Thank you

indesign.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually the same dialog box that I showed above (I just cropped off the bottom). It sounds like you are close to where you need to be. Do keep mind that most printers want to help you figure out what they need, because it makes their lives easier. If you have any other questions, though, don't hesitate to come back and ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

but they have asked to send as a single A5 file as their system automatically imposes single pages to booklet. To get the PDF I printed booklet to a postscript file then converted in Acrobat.

When you used Print Booklet you created imposed pages, which the printer doesn't want because it conflicts with their imposition—imposition should always be handled by the printer.

All you have to do is use Export and choose the default PDF/X-4 preset, which will export single reader pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines