• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects applying a "type" layer from old project to the background of every new composition

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am running into a very weird issue with After Effects applying the type that appears on a type layer of one project, to the background of every new composition. Nothing changes in the comp settings, apart from maybe a color change that I do manually (ex, below photos).  I have tried creating new projects, but those comps also appear with the same words somehow embedded into the background, with no type layer.  

As you can see in the first photo below, the type on the screen is on a type layer. The composition settings are also pictured below.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.13.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.24.41 PM.png

In the following photo, the type you see on the screen is not on any layer, because it somehow got embedded into the background.  The compositions settings are also pictured below.

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.14.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.23.05 PM.png

Thanks so much for taking a look - if someone could help, I'd really appreciate it!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

It's an easy fix: purge all memory & caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an easy fix: purge all memory & caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I'll be honest, I am rather new at this - how do I do that and what are the repercussions of purging memory and caches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find the command under the Edit dropdown menu at the top.  No bad ramifications result from doing this.  You may lose some time when previewing because AE has to re-render a lot of things, but it's no big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you so much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Side note: this bug was fixed in more recent versions of After Effects, so you might consider updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines