Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add attachments to a digitally signed document

May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a dynamic document which was built in LiveCycle Designer which requires multiple digital signatures and the ability to add attachments. Currently the ability to add attachments only exists when the document has no digital signatures and only with Acrobat Pro. The add attachment feature is grayed out once a digital signature is applied. This document is an enterprise document that is intended to go through a workflow (hence the reason for multiple digital signatures). Additionally the Interactive Objects menu is also grayed out on my form so the ability to add a button is not available (this is grayed out even with no digital signatures). I am open to the idea of adding a button in LiveCycle but I haven't found a JS that has worked yet (this is without me adding the complication of having any digital signatures in the form yet).

Any Ideas??

Adobe products being used;

LiveCycle Designer ES4

Adobe Acrobat Pro

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

R/

Matt

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachments are signed content. Adding/removing an attachment in a signed pdf would invalidate the signature. All attachments need to be added before the first signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the quick response and I am in agreement with you. What I am looking for a workaround, if adding a button in LiveCycle would allow me to add attachments than that would be great. Or, if I could remove some of the security features that normally go with digital signatures than I am ok with that too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesnt matter if the attachment is added through a button, an action in a gui, or programmatically. You end up with a change to the signed document that will invalidate (red x) all previous signatures. This is not a feature  you can disable as its essentially just digest/hash comparison.

If you want to work around this, you need to change your workflow. On the top of my head (i dont know if its possible with livecycle) if adding all attachments before signing is not possible, you could for example create a "wrapper" pdf and add, as attachments, both the multi-signed pdf and other attachments. You could then sign this wrapper pdf at the end to preserve integrity of the whole package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so that I am understanding you correctly. You are saying to make a new blank PDF and add my form which does have digital signatures as well as any other file type attachments (doc, PPT, PDF   etc etc...)? I just tried this and it worked as described in Pro but not in Reader. The Add attachment feature is grayed out in Reader. In Reader; I tried this with a version I saved with reader extensions enabled and another version where I did not save it with reader extensions enabled, I got the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to find a solution for adding documents to a Signed PDF document in Adobe 17 as the first signature (of multiples in the workflow) remove that capability.  As the review (and approval process flows) additional approvers attach documents, or "conditions of approval" as text.  I would like to see if subsequest signatories can get capability to attach documents.  My form has a "Notes" box (free form text) where conditions of Approval can be noted.  Can one embed a method for that "Notes" box to receive ADDITIONAL attachments?  ronaldlopez@nmhu.edu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can set the signature field to not lock the form fields when signed (all or some), but you can't allow attachments to be added to the file once it's digitally signed, unless it's done using the Attach File commenting tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines