• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I fix a project that uses .pdf with clipping mask and is causing image jitter?

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've read a few related channels on this topic and am looking now for a work around.

I have a project I have been working on for the past six weeks that uses many high resolution images.  Im using 3d and camera movements - so I figured when I noticed some image jitter, that it could be fixed with better render options.  I recently came to realize that the shaky images are the result of clipping masks created in sketch having issues with continuous raster in After Effects.  I was wondering if anyone knows a solution where I can make adjustments and replace footage rather than redoing a month and a half worth of work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are asking. You "fix" such stuff in your vector drawing program by editing the PDF and reorganizing the internal structure, dissolving unnecessary groups, compound paths and clipping masks and all that good stuff. Unless you totally mess it up, replacing layers in AE then would be no issue. Of course, truth be told, until this day I think Adobe has no handle on these things. Vector workflows in AE still suck and Illustrator is old and geriatric with lots of issues of its ow. That's why I try to avoid such stuff and prefer to build things natively in AE using huge pre-comps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While scaling down a layer -- either by actually altering scale or movement in z-space -- things can get weird if portions of the image get below 1 or 2 pixels in size.  Hard edges look like they're shimmering when they're in motion. Thin lines disppear and re-appear. I suspect that's your problem.  The fix would require editing the original image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply Dave!

I was thinking about exporting higher resolution pngs and then scaling them down in the comp to avoid losing image quality during the camera movements?

Because there are many complex animations already tied to the pdfs, I was wondering if there is any way to adjust the image in illustrator, export and then replace the footage in after effects in order to avoid re-animating all of the individual elements.

Hope this makes sense, and again, I appreciate the quick reply.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to beef up thin lines by using AE's Edit Original command.  You wouldn't have to re-import and screw up existing work.  If your copy of the software is working as advertised, it ought to work.

Note: you CAN NOT create any new layers as you go about your beefing-up work in Illustrator.  AE won't see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ryan_DD,

Did you solve this issue? What worked for you? Let us know for the benefit of the community.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines