• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When trying to name the file 1.1.jpeg or 2.1.jpeg or 3.1.jpeg etc. PS thinks that the ".1" is an extension.

New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I open a Jpeg and the first and the only action that I do is Crop after which I immediately proceed to Save As ----> and later save it as another Jpeg named "2.1" or "3.1" or "5.3" or whatever Photoshop views everything after the "." as an extension so what ends up happening is I end up with an unreadable file name "2" with an extension of ".1" and not "2.1.jpeg" as I intend it to be. Is that a bug? Or am I doing something wrong? (Now what I do is I just save it "blah", and then go back and change the name to 2.1, 3.1, 5.4, 7.6 etc. etc. in the folder. but it's very inconvenient). Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things work that way in many apps, perhaps most of them. Windows is designed that way, perhaps Mac OS too. If you type a dot, it means you're taking charge of the whole name, including the file type. So if you want to save something with a dot in the name, type the file type. Not just file.1 but file.1.jpg or whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. yeah that makes perfect sense, but I wish there was another way like an option or a box to check. but oh well. thanks again. I guess ill just use dashes or comas then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this catches me often. I can't tell you how often I've saved a music file (with a running time in the name) called something like "remix 3.15" instead of "remix 3.15.mp3".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure of your OS, however many consider it bad practice, however it does not usually create issues on modern OS versions.

Links:

Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces (Windows)

filesystems - Should file names contain multiple periods? - Super User 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows, set Folder Options to show extensions (they're hidden by default). Then I think it should work - otherwise everything after the last dot is treated as a file extension.

But why not use an underscore instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find that doesn't help (though it makes the problem more evident).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines