Non overlapping custom brush

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Some month ago I've created this image

Untitled-1.png

I'm trying to do the same thing with a clover leaf but I don't remember how I've done it.

I've created a custom brush, but when I use it what in the brush is not full black is + or - transparent so I get brush overlap buildup.

In the image above there is not any buildup instead.

What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

I don't know how you did this the first time but I can think of a way to have transparency in a brush to give the shading but without having the underlying layer show through.

Make a brush the way you have been doing.

Paint onto a layer filled with white and ensure the leaves on that layer don't overlap.

Set the blend if for the layer as shown below :

Now add another layer filled with white and paint on more leaves. These can overlap the layer below but don't overlap any leaves on this layer.

Again s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to guess you haven't included transfer custom brush settings for Opacity Jitter and Flow Jitter:

2017-05-18_09-30-55.png

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either that or you need to modify the overall Opacity and flow of the brush you are using with the settings shown here:

2017-05-18_09-33-53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get using Opacity jitter and flow jitter settings in your first image

Transfer.jpg

Using the options in your second images I don't get nothing, I click but it doesn't paint anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a (large) screenshot of just the single clover leaf you have used in black and white to create your custom brush?

Or whatever is included in your custom brush so the clover appears on click numero 1?

Perhaps you need to re-make your custom brush without the transparency before continuing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have clarified that the second post was an example only..... the opacity and flow were set extremely low for some gentle artwork touch up I had been doing to someones arm...

You would need to potentially adjust them to whatever you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was wondering why I have to set opacity and flow to such low values

Here is the image for brush, I've also tried with a color image before using this.

Four_Leaf_Clover.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^ That's your problem right there ^^

Your overlap build up is because of the grey being used for the middle of the brush...

Typically custom brushes use greyscale to measure the opacity of parts of the brush... Either you need to use a darker grey for the middle portion of your clover... Or your clover needs to be entirely black... or some other option I cant think of right now.

You could use colour for the middle again... but this will likely get converted into its equivalent greyscale if you are trying to use this as a custom brush rather than a stamp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The darker the grey and closer to black the LESS opaque it will be.... the lighter the grey and closer to white the MORE opaque it will be.

In other words you could imagine it as something like this...

White = 0% Opacity setting

Light grey = 25% Opacity setting

Medium Grey = 50% Opacity setting

Dark Grey = 75% Opacity setting

Black = 100% Opacity setting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in the first image I've posted  you can see veining and other details and still get no overlapping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because you have used varying shades of grey, black and white....

Here's some links that may help you....

Create and modify brushes in Adobe Photoshop

How To Make Your Own Custom Photoshop Brushes

Create Custom Leaf Brush in Photoshop - YouTube

HOW TO Create a Leaf Pattern Brush in Photoshop - YouTube

Creating Custom Photoshop Leaf and Grass Brush - YouTube

Also you could have adjusted other settings and used multiple layers to build the leaves up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact... I would be willing to gamble that you definitely had some stacked layers in the first image you made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand...

If I add another layer and start painting some leaves over the ones painted on the first one I still get overlapping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm....I'm really not sure then... I felt confident that you had to have used multiple layers... I still think you did every time you changed the colour of the leaves...

But all I can say is its definitely that the grey in the middle is too light and that is what is responsible for the build up.

Try using a much darker grey for the middle and if you need veins etc... then use a grey that is maybe 10% lighter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using this

Four_Leaf_Clover_09 copia.jpg

But I get this still

Senza titolo-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you did this the first time but I can think of a way to have transparency in a brush to give the shading but without having the underlying layer show through.

Make a brush the way you have been doing.

Paint onto a layer filled with white and ensure the leaves on that layer don't overlap.

Set the blend if for the layer as shown below :

Now add another layer filled with white and paint on more leaves. These can overlap the layer below but don't overlap any leaves on this layer.

Again set the blend if as shown above

Repeat as required

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius Dave!!

Why didn't I think of this!

I was trying to figure out how the hell he made the first version hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good old blend if...

Such a wonderful tool that is so often under utilised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is useful

For more vivid colours set the layer fill to black and blend if to

Or layer fill to 50% gray and blend if to :

Or combine all three in separate layers :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with this solution is that I get a pretty bad outline for the leaves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think it's called image hose in other softwares but it's not present in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you Alt click on the Blend if sliders, you can split them for a softer transition.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave, I've found I can get pretty nice result using random fill

Senza titolo-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines