• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path Interpolation of Shape Layers - logic please?

Engaged ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

Does anybody know how to control path interpolation of shape layers, as they seem to be being controlled by Ming

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

AICB paths simply can have an arbitrary point order. That's an age-old limitation of how this stuff once was incepted. You can find traces of that even today e.g. in the Illustrator SDK docs. I know it sucks, but Adobe simply has never cared to develop something better. It would benefit multiple programs, after all. In AE the situation is only particularly bad because those paths are not consistent with animation. There's really no ill intent or other mystical stuff behind it, it's just 25 year

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stage 1 - Set first vertex point before editing the path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what else? What specifically is your issue?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am asking for information. If no 1st vertex is set, why do the poiints behave in the insane way they do, compared to editing any other mask, or shape in other software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AICB paths simply can have an arbitrary point order. That's an age-old limitation of how this stuff once was incepted. You can find traces of that even today e.g. in the Illustrator SDK docs. I know it sucks, but Adobe simply has never cared to develop something better. It would benefit multiple programs, after all. In AE the situation is only particularly bad because those paths are not consistent with animation. There's really no ill intent or other mystical stuff behind it, it's just 25 year old code.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just wondered if there was a way to understand it, as I wasn't pasting in any new paths, just moving the existing points of a native AE shape layer, converted from rectangle to bezier path first.

It held it's original shape, scaled down centrally then switched to the final shape which was only slightly rotod.

I think just setting first vertex as a standard first step usualy makes things work.

Sometimes I want to peek behind the curtain, but usually it just scares me!

Knowing the programming behind can help use, but as I don't code, it can be hard to understand it anyway.

Especially as things are changing!

Thanks for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines