Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Same color, looks different in my 2 documents

Participant ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a file that was supplied to me. I am remaking it from scratch. The RGB colour that was supplied to me, when I use the same colour in a new document, it looks different. I'm sure it's a colour settings thing, but I'm not sure where to look.

Any advice?
Thx!

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.34.23 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

If you create the new document from scratch you can simply start with an image you assign the correct profile to (in the New Document-dialog or via Edit > Assign Profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the two images’ Color Spaces?

I recommend you set the Status Bar to indicate that.

statusBarSetting.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. They are both different. I guess that is the problem? How do I fix that? Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 9.12.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are both different. I guess that is the problem?

Yes, the same RGB-values can appear differently in different Colour Spaces.

You can either assign the same profile to the offending image or you can convert (a copy of) the original image to the Color Space you want to use and read the new values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

the same RGB-values can appear differently in different Colour Spaces.

They not only can, but they will. Even neutral grays will shift a little between sRGB and Adobe RGB, since the tone response curves are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not want to rule out that there could be some RGB-values that appear identically in more than one RGB-space but I am not about to make extensive tests …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler  wrote

but I am not about to make extensive tests …

No, let's not go there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an RGB- or CMYK-image is untagged then it will be displayed as if using the respective Working Space (see Edit > Color Settings).

If an image has an embedded ICC Profile it will be displayed on the basis of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to convert my offending image to match the  profile I want...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create the new document from scratch you can simply start with an image you assign the correct profile to (in the New Document-dialog or via Edit > Assign Profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks. Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thx for posting! I had a set of files I use to make 3 different shaped files for various social media posts. With some lighter colors, 1 file would look weird, like really bright green vs a more pastel green in the other 2 files. 

I made a new file with the correct color profile and dragged all my layers over from the old file. The colors stayed weird, so I reapplied the correc color, it updated and looked correct. 

From here on out, those files will all look the same on updates. THANKS!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines