• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I associate RH styles with hot-key keyboard shortcuts?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2008 Sep 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can I associate RH styles with hot-key keyboard shortcuts (like in Word)?

I don't find a way from within RH.

TIA

- avi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avi

Unfortunately we don't have that quite yet in RoboHelp. However, there are three built in shortcuts you are probably unaware of.

* Ctrl+Alt+1 (Applies Heading 1)
* Ctrl+Alt+2 (Applies Heading 2)
* Ctrl+Alt+3 (Applies Heading 3)

Hopefully those help... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't help much. Applying heading styles is not something I do so often. What I am usually doing is applying: Normal, List Number Level 1, 2, 3... , List Bullet Level 1, 2, 3... , List Continue Level 1, 2, 3... . Stuff like that.

I was just working with something called FastHelp. It's sweet and intuitive, but not so powerful when it comes to formatting. Really frustrating, actually. So I was really looking forward to working with RH7 at my next customer, coz I thought that at $700 and version 7 and having been around so long, it would have as much formatting power as Word. I have had a big disappointment.

To do the indenting properly, looks like I am going to have to refresh my HTML knowledge.

Or maybe use a different app. and import it into RH?

Or use RH for Word, and do I get Word formatting? But isn't that going back in time?

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avi

I would agree that one should avoid going back to RoboHelp for Word. Particularly if the goal is HTML based output. However, you are always free to try that if you feel it will suit you. Just know that if you do and you later run into difficulties, the base group of users for that product is one that is shrinking. So the "real use" knowledge of the product is also beginning to shrink and dwindle. I know that I abandoned using it in 1999 and made the switch to RoboHelp HTML.

Also, RoboHelp 7 is logically version 15 of the product. At least for RoboHelp for Word. RoboHelp HTML is a bit trickier. It was introduced originally coinciding with version 5 of RoboHelp office. From a logical standpoint, RoboHelp HTML 7 is logically version 10. But from the "Adobe" standpoint, it's Adobe's second version. I'm confident that as things move along, they will bring the features we want. But it won't happen if we don't ask. And to ask, we use the Wish Form.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2008 Sep 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shortcut keys:

Well I can implement the shortcut keys using QuickMacros (QM). This is an excellent Windows systems utility, also incl. a rich programming env., which allows u to automate lots of things in Windows and your apps. (Actually the name "QuickMacros" doesn't do it justice; it makes it sound like a 2-bit utility - but it's much more.) QM works with varying degrees of success depending on how your target app is built. With FrameMaker, QM worked great, but with FastHelp, I had to re-record some of the macros every time I re-ran the app (or even changed it's size/position on the monitor).

editing:

Tell me, what editor do people like using with RH7? When I first started up RH, I noticed that there is an option to use an external editor, and I thought "what's that for, isn't RH's editing env. great...?". Apparently not ...

(And thanks for the history lesson... 🙂 I see you've been around a long time. )

tnx

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I have gone into the HTML window, and I am cleaning up the HTML. I took out all the extra
<ol> </ol> pairs
that RH inserted. The numbered listing works nicely now and I am much happier ... :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody please suggest a free (or almost free) HTML editor that features lots of features, eg, hiliting, split Design/HTML windows, clean XHTML code and checker.

Wasn't there once some browser called Mozila? Or was it called Netscape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: avi10000
Somebody please suggest a free (or almost free) HTML editor that features lots of features. e.g.hiliting, split Design/HTML windows, clean XHTML code and checker

Yikes! You don't want much do you? And for free? I'd hate to haggle with you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has that got to do with this thread?

Try Kompozer, an update of NVU which I believe has been abandoned.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Coz I started the thread by expressing my disappointment with the features available in the RH editor, so now I am exploring the possibility of using a different editor.

Actually, although the above is correct, IMO, I was thinking of starting a new thread for this anyway. Will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp