• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text layer handles missing in edit mode

Explorer ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue a few times and it's really starting to bug me. Haven't been able to find any existing topics on any of the forums for it.
This is only affecting certain existing text layers in some of my older projects.

When going into edit mode on the text layer, none of the bounding box handles appear. I do see the layer handles when not in text edit mode, however I want to stretch the bounding box so that the text doesn't wrap when I replace the text.

This is what I expect to see when I go into text edit mode.

Text_WITH HANDLES.jpg

However on certain existing text layers, this is all I see. Note that the handles are completely missing, and no these are not the layer handles, but are the text box handles. (and yes, I have zoomed out to check if the handles are stretched very far.)

Text_MISSING HANDLES.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Gotcha. It's because your text is point text rather than paragraph text. You can convert it to paragraph text by right/control-clicking the text and select "Convert to Paragraph text".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If by edit mode you mean being able to edit the source text then the bounding boxes aren't supposed to appear - you'll get what you see, the text selected, allowing you to replace the source text. Edit mode is entered by double-clicking on the layer in the timeline. To get the bounding box you'd want to single-click on the text layer in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to see the bounding box while not in edit mode, (aka stretch, squash, move around the layer etc) however I'm referring to the actual text box itself, which controls text-wrapping, number of visible lines etc while in the text edit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. It's because your text is point text rather than paragraph text. You can convert it to paragraph text by right/control-clicking the text and select "Convert to Paragraph text".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks so much! Didn't even realize that was a thing....go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, no matter how much I use AE I seem to keep running into something I didn't know was a thing just the day before. It's the nature of how sophisticated and feature-rich the program is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines