Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects what does this script do?

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects Tutorial: Audio Spectrum Effect [Trap Nation] - YouTube

I'm doing a couple of intros on After Effects and I'm pretty new to it. In the video above, this script, value + (comp("Music").layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider"))/10 is used along with value + (comp("Music").layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider"))/30 and value + (comp("Music").layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider"))/5 .

Times they are mentioned:

11:08

Why? I've made another video without using those scripts and it turned out fine for the particles and such. What do they do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

That specific expression is taking the initial value of that property ("value") and then adding to it the value defined by the Expression Control slider (with some scaling/arithmetic applied to the slider's value, ie the "/10" and "/30")

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expressions just make things easier to do, instead of you having to keyframe these things it does it for you.

Go to videocopilot.net and look in their early tutorials for a list of expressions and helpful tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but I'm still a bit confused.

Because after I input the script the tutorial video just has us save it then we render.

What exactly is the script/expression doing to the particles? Telling them when to bounce at a specific time?

Also thank you for the tutorial site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That specific expression is taking the initial value of that property ("value") and then adding to it the value defined by the Expression Control slider (with some scaling/arithmetic applied to the slider's value, ie the "/10" and "/30")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines