• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of an outline left over from the "Shatter" effect?

Explorer ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner at AE, and I'm trying to learn by reading and watching tutorials online. I'm currently watching one on how to do the Shattered Glass effect (this one here: After Effects Shatter Glass Tutorial - YouTube ) However for my video, I want to do it a little differently. I'd like to not leave the gaping hole "made" after the glass breaks and falls apart. I'm using an all white background with the words on front, and I want that when the glass breaks, that it seems that it's breaking out of nowhere.However I'm still being left with an outline of the shattered hole (see photo below), Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 4.17.47 PM.png

and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Any advice for me please?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Ok, now try this. Start by soloing the "Glass to Shatter" layer. Do you see anything? What is on that layer? Is there a hole it it? I can see that it's a comp but if you have something like a picture of a glass in the comp then it should have a transparent background so that all of the layer shatters. If you want a hole in a white solid then it makes no sense to have a white background.

Next start resetting some of the values. Start with Texture Opacity. when the lines go away you've probably fou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots that don't include the modified properties of the layer you are having problems with do not provide enough information to point you to a solution. Try selecting the layer, press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties and then print screen and paste to the forum or Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 on a Mac and drag the full screenshot to the reply field. Then give is a complete description of the workflow and what's happening in the timeline.

There are a dozen things that could be causing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Okay I've included better screenshots. The second one has all of the modifications and effects visible. Please let me know if I should screenshot anything else. Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 5.10.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-18 at 5.11.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, at least they're screen shots.  But we need to see the keyframes, not an empty graph editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now try this. Start by soloing the "Glass to Shatter" layer. Do you see anything? What is on that layer? Is there a hole it it? I can see that it's a comp but if you have something like a picture of a glass in the comp then it should have a transparent background so that all of the layer shatters. If you want a hole in a white solid then it makes no sense to have a white background.

Next start resetting some of the values. Start with Texture Opacity. when the lines go away you've probably found your problem. Personally I think you just have not set up the composition properly.

We still don't know what you are trying to accomplish. Also, it doesn't make any sense to keyframe the repetitions because once the shatter starts the number of pieces stays the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

Okay, I played around with the Texture Opacity like you suggested, and I got the effect I wanted.

Basically like I said before, I wanted the logo, which is on a white background, to shatter and fall apart without the hole in the back.

Thank you once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines