• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

urgent lightroom importing question

New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a big problem with importing in lightroom.

On the APPLY DURING IMPORT TAB, even if I choose Develop settings or metadata as NONE,  the raw files imported to lightroom cc are still heavily edited, very contrasty, very vivid.   Lightroom started acting this way this week, never before.  Please help, I have tons of clients photos waiting to finished.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accidentally set the default settings for that camera.  Select one of the photos, go to Develop, and do Develop > Set Default Settings.  Then click Restore Adobe Default Settings.  That will fix the problem for new photos that you import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restored adobe default settings. Images remain the same, not changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you then do Photo > Develop Settings > Reset on the photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i went to library module and did that, no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported same photos from the same sd card to another laptop.  the lightroom on that laptop is showing me the altered raw files as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more troubleshooting steps:

1. Do you have Photoshop installed?  If so, what does a photo look like when you edit it in Photoshop?

2. Upload a problem photo to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  Then we can see if it looks the same in our LR or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I open the image from lightroom to photoshop, the image looks the same in both apps, which means altered already.  I'll upload a comparison photo very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also restored my nikon d800 settings to factory mode.  and took a couple more pix, raw files show altered in lightroom as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox - _DSC0975.NEF

This is the raw file, please check if it looks dull (raw) or edited in your lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It imports like this

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.33.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, better contrast and brightness,  color is more saturated as well

but I prefer to edit from raw, I donno it just started acting like this recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The raw viewed in my LR and in the Windows Photos app look similar on my machine as in your screenshot:

The Photos app is showing the JPEG preview that the camera creates and embeds in the raw file, whereas LR is showing its interpretation of the raw file, which can be much different than the camera's JPEG preview.

You might try other profiles, e.g. Camera Standard or Camera Neutral:

It's possible that you've been using Camera Standard or Neutral in the past and then your most recent pics are using Adobe Standard (the default).

But there is no "correct" or "raw" interpretation of the raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use Adobe Standard profile and apply my presets made specific for this profile.   After I updated my lightroom CC,  the adobe standard profile works more like camera profiles, not showing me the real raw images.  Im worried my adobe standard profile is corrupted.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm worried my adobe standard profile is corrupted. 

It's very unlikely your Adobe Standard profile is corrupted, since three people on four different installations of LR CC get the same results on your test photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

left is raw, right is lightroom.JPG

the left is raw, the right is adobe standard profile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the left is raw, the right is adobe standard profile

The left photo is not "raw".  It is a JPEG preview that was created by your camera using its interpretation of the raw sensor data and embedded in the raw file.  Windows Photos displays that embedded preview.

After I updated my lightroom CC,  the adobe standard profile works more like camera profiles, not showing me the real raw images.

Once again, there is no such thing as the "real raw image".  A raw file contains the sensor data recorded by your camera, without any interpretation applied. To display the image in a way that looks pleasing to us, the firmware in your camera that creates JPEGs and applications like LR apply algorithms that interpret the raw sensor data, mapping the colors and tonal ranges to something that can be displayed by computer displays and that looks aesthetically pleasing.   These "raw converters" all do this interpretation differently, and there is no one "right" or "real" way to do it.  Your camera has one way of doing it when it embeds JPEG previews and records full-resolution JPEGs, and Adobe provides many ways, in the form of the different camera profiles (Adobe Standard, Camera Standard, etc.).  Photographers choose different interpretations according to their desires and aesthetics.

In particular, the embedded JPEG preview displayed by Windows Photos is your camera's interpretation of the raw sensor data, and the image you're seeing in Develop is that provided by the Adobe Standard profile.

On the test image you provided, Camera Neutral profile was pretty similar to the embedded JPEG preview shown by Windows Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported your test image into LR 4.0 and compared Develop's rendering of Adobe Standard with that of LR CC 2015.10.  There is no visible difference:

I exported both as TIFFs and then compared them in Photoshop by taking the difference between the two layers; there were very small differences in the shadows, but nothing at all visible to my eye.

So whatever you're experiencing is not caused by a difference between LR 4 and LR CC 2015.10 / 6.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So to summarize what's known to date, in your workflow you're seeing a significant difference in how LR renders your photos before and after updating to LR CC 2015.  What has been ruled out:

- You're not applying a develop preset or a default camera setting, since you tried resetting both and since three of us on four different computers get the same rendering of the test photo.

- It's not something that's changed in LR, at least since LR 4, since LR 4's rendering is nearly identical to that of LR CC 2015.10.  LR changed how Adobe Standard renders photos on cameras released sometime after the fall of 2014, in later releases of LR 5 and 6. But that wouldn't affect your camera, which was released in 2012; and that change to Adobe Standard lowers the saturation, not increases it as you've observed.

- You've been comparing LR's rendering with the embedded preview displayed without color management by Windows Photos. But you've seen differences in the way LR itself renders a photo before and after updating to LR CC 2015.  So even though you weren't understanding what Windows Photos shows you, that has nothing to do with the difference you've observed in LR's rendering before and after the update.

So it appears something has changed in your workflow unbeknownst to your. To make more progress, we'd need more information:

- What version of LR were you using previously? Which versions of Windows / Mac?

- Provide a test photo whose rendering in that previous version is much different than in LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Oops, submitted too soon]

Then, in Library, select the photos that have the wrong default settings applied and do Photo > Develop Settings > Reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to import same images from the same sd card to another laptop.  The lightroom on that laptop is showing me the altered raw files as well.  Do you think it is something wrong with my camera or camera settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to import same images from the same sd card to another laptop.  The lightroom on that laptop is showing me the altered raw files as well.  Do you think it is something wrong with my camera or camera settings?

What happens when you follow the steps I described?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remains the same, not change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines