• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Efects Error: overflow converting ratio denominators.(17 :;18)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am experiencing a serious problem with after effects.

It started when I right clicked a clip in my premiere pro timeline and chose "replace with after effects composition."  Upon moving the clip into my already open after effects project, the wrong still frame opened up in the comp viewer, followed by this error: After Effects Error: overflow converting ratio denominators.(17 :;18).  Clicking OK does nothing, and even after closing after effects and restarting the computer, upon opening my project, I simply get this error which will not go away, and as long as it is open, I can do nothing else with after effects.  I cannot just create a new project as several other comps are contained within this specific project, and because of this error I now have no access to them.  What can I do to correct this?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know a lot more to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects CS 5.5

All Updates are installed 

Mac OS X 10.7.3 

XDCAM HD422 1080p30

Full Error Message is as follows: After Effects Error: overflow converting ratio denominators.(17 :;18)

I was using the replace with after effects comp option in Premiere when this error occurred 

Running Premiere Pro and After Effects CS 5.5

No third party codecs or plug ins installed

MacBook Pro 2010 2.66 Ghz Core i7, 8 GB of RAM GeForce GT 330M

I am using openGL

The problem occurs whenever I open this one project file 

I don't know if I am using render multiple frames simultaneously multiprocessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error either indicates a problem with the source footage or a specific effect. It's simply a math error somewhere deep in the fabric of the project, e.g. by misinterpreting footage sizes. In order to open the project in AE without the warning cropping up immediately, you could try to open it with capslock, so it doesn't attempt to render anything. Then you could at least inspect the footage in the project panel by selecting it. If you see something odd there, this might get you closer to finding the cause of the problems...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, so I've tried turning off OpenGL, and opened my AfterEffects project with capslock held down.  It still gives me this error.  Also, after I click the OK box for the overflow error the first time, this box appears:After Effects Warning.jpg

After clicking on this box, the perpetual overflow error appears, and greys out the rest of my After Effects UI, so there is no way for me to save a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new project and importing the old project file into the new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I am using openGL

Start by turning that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

See if this will work: Leave the CAPS on before starting the program, hopefully that will allow you to have access (without the overflow error which is very frustrating)… if you do, then you probably know what to do next, but if not: change the frame rate by right clicking on the video file and clicking on "Interpret Footage" and then click on "Main...", then under "Frame Rate" select the "Conform to frame rate" and try to change the frame rate to the closest round number as the original frame rate. (If the original one is 30.05 change it to 30 and see if that works).

Let me know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin,Has anybody figure out how to properly resolve this issue? My above description worked for me but the issue I have is that it will cut the length of the video when the frame rate is changed (despite what number you change it to).

I can't believe that this issue is unresolved to date since researching it has been discussed for over 4 years now at different sites. I couldn’t find any solutions online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youre missing a video codec or it got corrupt with an update.  Try uninstalling QuickTime, Divix, etc and reinstalling them one by one.  That should fix the problem. 

Also if special video software is required to run the footage you can also try pre converting the footage before applying any effects to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2013 Jan 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone is having this error and none of these solutions are relevant.

I just tried to open a project passed on to me today and go the error, I realised it is caused by a peice of footage exported from Final Cut Pro as a 'reference movie' instead of 'self contained' (an easy way to spot this kind of file is if it is a suspiciously small file -like a 30 second HD clip that is less than 1MB). I'm assuming this wasn't a problem for the person who gave me the file as After Effects was able to access the render files that the reference movie were pointing to on their own computer, but now obviously After Effects can't find the footage the file is referencing now because it's not on my system.

The problem can be solved by deleting the footage from the composition, which can be difficult with the error popping up constantly.

Alternatively, if the footage is really important to the composition, just export it again from FCP as a self contained movie and replace the footage file at it's source. Close and re-open AE and it will link to the new working file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add your info to the relevant post on my error code database. Thanks for sharing.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Well, I have this issue for two days so I was like "OMG!", but then I have found this forum and this post which gave me some clues what should I do or what to try...so: my problem was that when I did try to open my huge project (quantum of clips, pics, effects etc.) I got to that error message and when I clicked "OK" project opens TOTALY EMPTY so I couldn't try out any of your solutions (having CAPS LOCK ON didn't help, cos simply there was absolutely nothing inside the project)...so I began scratching my head saying something like: "Hey, wait a sec - what the...?!?!?!". After some messing with empty projects I was able to import my buggy project via IMPOERT>FILE>*.aep, but as soon as I open the composition inside it crashes with exact the same error message (but at least I was able to see what's inside) + some other errors. So I write them all down to a paper and after some time I noticed there are like 2-3 the same errors that occure most of the time...and those was errors with AF own internal effects of AUTO CONTRAST and LINEAR WIPE (+ one more but that one has no significancy and also I was not sure if that third one is internal effect or not: Classic 3D). Then automaticaly my next thought was: "Hm, OK, I should try disabling those effects and see what will happend..." - well, guess what: IT HELPED!!! I went to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support FilesPlug-ins\Effects\ and there I changed the *.eax extension of those plugins to *.eax- (or any other "unnown" extension :-D). And after some while I narrow it to one definitive internal effect plugin bug of AUTO CONTRAST! So my guess is that the framerate bug (having not whole number as framerate, like some of you suggested here) is probably NOT AFTER EFFECTS INTERNAL BUG AS WHOLE, but reather bug in some of its internal effects dealing with it (the framerate) - hope it will help to resolve this many years long bug (+ sorry: english is not my native language :-D)

Message was edited by: eriqire9 - sorry, I by mistake write the buggy effect name wrong, it was AUTO CONTRAST, not Auto Focus 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this error message as well. I didn't import a project, but one single video file from my Nokia 808 PureView. Everytime I clicked on it, it gave me the error. There were no errors in Premiere Pro CC, but I saw there that the framerate was 25.007. I right clicked the video file in After Effects CC and went to Interpret Footage > Main, and set it to 25. No more error messages. The video file is H.264 in an .mp4 container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error and just like you, the problem was caused by a 24.000 fps video that After Effects interpreted as 23.999 fps.

To prevent the error I forced After Effects to interpret the footage as 24.000 fps. But now After Effects thinks my footage is 45m30s long even thought it's actually 55m46s.

But I had no problems with this exact same video before the 12.1.0.168 update. Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had the same problem right now. Import the files with Caps Lock allows me interpret my footages. The old frame rate of my files was 15,0015 FPS. I just changed to 15. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found that works for me when this happens is exporting the clip from Premier that I want to use in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very old thread, but I ran into this problem today with the latest Premiere & After Effects. To solve the problem what I did was right-click my footage in Premiere that I wanted to edit in After Effects and click Render & Replace, choose your desired settings and then it will do its conversion. After that replace with after-effects comp and it got rid of my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, probably the frames of your clips does not have the same frames per second. That is why is showing the error. Go to you file ] right click + details and check how many frames Per Second is this file recorded. Then sync you composition settings to the same Frame rate. And voila!!! Hope this may help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In project, right click the video and click 'Inspect Footage'. Then, click 'Main'. Go to your fps (frames per second) and round it up (or down) to a whole number. That's it: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this helped alot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is another FIX if nothing helps.

Create a NEW Project and Import the old Project. Open the File, it should work. But it can occour again. You also can try to reload an older Autosave. Its a bug...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines