• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping LR Cat files on Google drive

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to store my LR Cat file including the Previews file on my Google drive.

The Cat file is 1.3GB and the Previews file is 55GB.

Along with some other files the total size of the folder being backed up is 74GB.

Yet in the Google drive progress bar it is showing 79 GB of 268GB backed up. (and counting)

The progress window also shows the individual .lrprev files backing up.

Is it not possible to store the LR files in Google drive?

Why does it show the total backup size of 268GB when the total size of the folder is only 79GB?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom expects the catalog file to be on a local drive (internal or external)

Lightroom expects the photos to be on a local or networked drive.

Google drive does not meet these conditions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andrewa,

Lightroom catalog and the preview must be stored on a local drive(Internal/external).

Keeping the catalog on the cloud or a network drive is not recommended. See Photoshop Lightroom catalog FAQ

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew,

what you CAN do is to keep your photos in a synched folder of Google Drive. The lightroom catalog does not work with Google drive since it constantly changes. Solution for that is to enable the catalog backup function with the backup target directory somewhere in your synched Google Drive folder.

This way you have your photos always backed up and your catalog is in an acceptable backup state.

Best regards,

Timo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks #DTehchnik.

Actually I do not want to store all my raw files on my HD.

For now I store them on an external drive.

To sync with google drive I have to keep all my files on a HD. Which has worked in the past.

But I am transitioning to a workflow that will allow me to work from my ipad only!

Now using lightroom Mobile. and love it.

Still tied to my laptop.

but eventually I would like to store all my raw files in the cloud and work with LR mobile on the IPAD Pro. Only!

As I travel a lot I often do not want to carry a laptop with me.

So any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the responses so far are mostly technically correct. However, they do not really show up the options you have.

The solution you are trying to achieve works with Dropbox - many have confirmed this and there are also guides on the web.

Since a similar setup is also possible with Google Drive this might work as well. I actually have plans to test this within the next few days.

If you install Google Drive locally, it mirrors a folder with it's sub-folder to the cloud and from there to any attached other client. You are actually working on normal, local files and not 'in the cloud'.

You can not select any folder to have it synced. It is one dedicated folder (and all sub-folder) that acts as the local copy. That said, also the preview folder is forced to be synced to the cloud since it always sits next to the catalog.

I'll keep you posted once I have found the time to really test this setup.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look forward to hearing how it goes F. Mclion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

F. McLion said: "You can not select any folder to have it synced. It is one dedicated folder (and all sub-folder)."

Sorry, this is not fully correct. Please see Change your sync settings - Google Drive Help

It is indeed possible to state which of your folders in Google Drive shall be synched with your computer and its designated folder.

Maybe this is what you meant, but in order to avoid misunderstandings, I just wanted to make this clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some testing with Google Drive I can not recommend it for synchronizing Lightroom to use it on multiple computers in multiple locations.

If one does not bother to also synchronize the previews, OK, then it can be used. However, since synchronizing the previews is of no use and it just eats up your online space I can not look at it as a clever solution.

If you deselect a sub-folder in GD to be excluded from the sync process (e.g. previews folder), GD automatically deletes its local copy - and this can not be stopped since there is no question where you can tell GD to not do this. When you start LR the next time, the preview folder is recreated and automatically added back in  to the sync. This ends up in having 2 copies of the previews folder in the cloud ... and you can start over again ..

GD has no feature to tell it to just ignore a sub-folder and simply leave it alone.

... going to see what OneDrive can do ...

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OneDrive seems to work, kind-of, as along as you don't mind looking at a red x in its status permanently instead of a green check mark.

It's possible to sync the previews folder (or an empty version of it) and mark it to 'not sync'. It will be deleted locally as it is with Google Drive. After starting LR the previews will be re-generated. However, it will be left alone by the sync as long as you leave the empty folder in the cloud but the message that it can not be synced because it is already present stays permanently.

I have not yet checked the download on the second device and working with it. However, the basic setup on the main computer seems to work.

Just for complete information: The reason I'd like to do it with GoogleDrive or OneDrive is because I already have 15GB available on each and Dropbox only offers 2GB for free. Therefore I have not tested Dropbox - but there are many that confirm it to be working anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS there any update on this that might make Google Drive now possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more than a year since I tested this. It may well be that the tools have changed and it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm Google Drive still does not work well with Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try with OneDrive, for instance?

I'm (We) are interested in your findings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines