• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can not "save as" in same folder - error "file protected ... or in use"

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a while (might be since update to macOS Sierra 10.12.x) I can not save a PDF with a different name into the same folder. An error message appears:

"The file is either write protected or in use by another user. Save the file under another name or in a different folder"

(original message in German)

I can save in a different folder. When I open that new file, do a change and "save as" with a new, third name the same error appears again. I can save as in any other, even in the folder of the first original PDF. So its not a matter of folder rights.

When I open a PDF and want to optimize it than nothing happens when I simply save. I have to "save as" and select a different location.

Acrobat 10.1.16  |  macOS 10.12.3

Any hints appreciated!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this issue in the past when the following occurred:

• If you select the file in the Finder and double click it, it remains 'active' somehow.
  • Then issues with saving might occur.
  • I've seen that happen on Windows and Mac OS

Have not seen this issue for a while, but can you try the following:

1. Don't select any of the PDFs in the folder.
  2. Launch Acrobat, then choose File > Open and navigate to the folder that contains the PDF file.
  3. Make the change, and then try a Save As, and see if it works?

If that doesn't work I'd look at testing and possibly repairing the file permissions on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately none of the hints do help in this case – my pdfs just behave different to your experience. Also, I have this issues in the last weeks, or 2-3 month only, whereas you did not have them recently but more time ago. Nevertheless I did the open-method-tests:

My results with the 2 methods to open a PDF before "save as" with a new filename:

It works fine unless a PDF has been opened before – independent of the way to open it.

If I rename a PDF in the finder and open it 1st time in Acrobat then I am able to save as into the same folder.

As soon I open this PDF a second time – either from finder or from Acrobats open or recent files menu – then I am not able to save as in the same folder and I get the error mentioned above.

I can choose any other folder (even within such a problematic folder) to save as – and, also, I can switch between two folders to continue a save as several times for testing. But I HAVE TO switch to be allowed to save as. That means very clear it is not a problem of rights on system level but must be a misinterpretation of Acrobat.

This issue also appears if I quit and restart Acrobat in between. That might mean the problem occurs as soon Acrobat has a file name and storage place in its recent files list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines