Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking Multiple Audio to One Video | Premiere Elements 13

Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple audio tracks that I am editing in sync to one video track. All of the audio is in sync, it is just when cutting the video it is a struggle to keep everything thing in that synchronised state. There is a "link audio and video tool" which I would use, but it only works with one video and one audio track. There is also a group tool, which does group multiple tracks together, but when you cut the track it remains one big group instead of becoming 2 separate groups as it is with the link tool.

Is there any way to have the number of tracks selected as when using the group tool, but also have the functionality of the link tool?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course the Group feature links several clips together. That's what it's for. How is that not working?

Though Grouping also does some other things that may affect how your timeline is edited.

But, if you're editing several tracks of audio and one or more tracks of video on your timeline, you really don't need to link them at all. the tracks are designed to "ripple", so that, when you cut from or add to one track, the other tracks stay in sync relative to it.

Is that not what's happening in your project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does all of what you said (I do not know about the ripple thing), but my problem with groups is that when I use the cut tool on a group to trim it down it doesn't create 2 seperate groups, but instead only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean when you say " when I use the cut tool on a group to trim it down it doesn't create 2 seperate groups, but instead only one".

But as I've said, you don't need to Group your clips. The timeline is your group -- and as you add and delete clips from the timeine, the entire timeline will expand or contract, leaving all of the clips in the same positions relative to each other.

When you use the Split tool, make sure that no clips are selected on your timeline. As I show you in my books and in my lynda.com class, when a clip is selected on your timeline, splitting will split ONLY THAT CLIP. If you have no clips selected on your timeline, the Split tool will split all clips on all tracks at this spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion, I should probably explain why I cannot do that.

I have 4 (sometimes 5 tracks for sound effects) tracks of audio. and 1 track of video. 3 of those need to be linked to the single video track so that when I use the trim/cut tool they remain in sync with the video. I cannot use the method you have listed (as much as I am grateful that you're trying) because of the 4th track which does not need to be in sync with the video because it is the track that music is placed on.

The reason I do not use grouping is because when I go to trim/cut it all remains in one big group. Put it this way; I have an apple (1 group of tracks). When I divide that apple in half (use the trim/cut tool) I should have 2 halves of an apple (two groups). However, my 2 halves are still stuck together by an unknown force (the group tool). So I have to pull them apart myself (manually ungroup everything). Premiere Elements audio-video link tool does not have this issue, but instead is restricted to linking a single audio track to a single video track.

I realise the workaround is to manually ungroup everything but it interrupts the workflow, especially when doing multiple cuts in short span of time. Which is why I'm trying to find a solution that removes this interruption. If you still don’t understand feel free to say so and ignore this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti​ he means that if you make a cut to a group it doesn't split it into two separate groups. You can't cut out the group in the middle.

Ex.

00:10 - 00:20  Take 1. "Watch Out, Superman!"

00:20-00:50 Noise, director, reset, lighting fix.

00:50- 01:00   Take 2. "Watch Out, Superman!"

I want clips 00:10-00:20 and 00:50-01:00 on the timeline. I want to cut out from the original grouping and make them into separate, STILL SYNCED and TOGETHER clips on the timeline. I want to cut out 00:20-00:50 so my chief editor / director / whoever doesn't have to wade thru crap, or deal with markers, or whatever. They can just see the clips on the timeline.

If they stay GROUPED, it doesn't cut out the middle. If they stay UNLINKED, there's a risk of moving things out of sync. If I use RIPPLE EDIT, well, sure, but then the clips move. Maybe I don't want them too. Sure, no real bad, but that's not for Adobe to decide. That's my workflow, not Adobe's.

YES a SHIFT-C will split multiple tracks together. That's good. But the original OP can only use that if he locks the bottom tracks. Maybe he doesn't want to keep remembering to do that.. maybe there's a reason in his workflow why he needs to unlock, and it's dangerous to have to keep locking. As well, why can't I just LINK all clips on multiple tracks together? Why is this so hard to implement?

If I am missing something, If I am overshooting something, show me where I'm wrong and I swear I will apologize and fully admit WOOPS I was dumb - I have been dumb and jumped ahead plenty of times before. But it seems this is an annoyance that's been in this NLE for years, and I don't know why in 2017 it's still with us.

Thank you, and apologies for being snarky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i want to be able to link multiple audio to one video as well, because the ripple doesn't always work as intended and putting them into their own sequence to edit them as one creates other problems. why does this have to be complicated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found the answer? try merging the clips. it's a contextual button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also trying to achieve the very simple task of linking two audio clips to one video clip. This is my workflow:

1. I drop the original video+audio into my timeline. The audio is from the camera mic, so not great - it's just there as reference.
  2. I then trim and add the separately recorded audio, and sync it up.
  3. I now want to link that audio to the existing video+audio.

It seems the only way to do it is to do a "Merge Clips..." which creates a new clip with all the video and audio, in my project panel. I then have to replace what's on the timeline with this newly created merged clip. Which is a ridiculous amount of pfaffing around to just link one additional audio clip to a video clip+audio clip. And also I like to keep my project as lean as possible - having an extra load of "merged clips" in my project is mildly annoying and unnecessary.

Unless anyone has found a way to link 2 audio + 1 video clip? I'd love to hear it! My current workaround is to delete the camera audio from the clip in the timeline, then link the video and new audio together. But I'd like to keep the camera audio (muted) for reference.

Interestingly, if I delete the camera-mic audio track, I can add as many new audio clips as I like, and link all of those to the video successfully. Could it be some kind of audio format issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote! This is a silly problem to be having.

We used to be able to: First "unlink" video from it's audio track, unlink the recorists audio tracks, select video + all trimmed audio, then right-click, and "Link" was available to make the video clip with both camera + additional audio channels linked together.

Groups are not smart enough for this procedure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still seems to be a problem for me as well, is there seriously not a better workaround? How do they edit features with tons of dialoge sound tracks for one shot (like if everone has a lav mic or something)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just started upping my production quality on my tik toks with a lav mic and i can't believe i have to manually group and ungroup whenever i want to cut a slice out of three audio tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I could have sworn you used to be able to Link multiple tracks to a video. Is this a bug? Is there a workaround that doesn't involve Grouping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found out (not sure if this is Elements as well, or just Premiere)...

Audio tracks will not link together when they have both Stereo and Mono in the selection. You need all the same type. You can check what type each clip is by right clicking a clip in the project pannel and Modify > Audio Channels > Type dropdown. If you don't know the difference between Stereo and Mono tracks and want a quick fix then just go for Mono.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my ABSOLUTE SAVIOUR! Ive never had an issue linking files together before (i edit for others & myself for youtube and twitch) but all of a sudden the last 2 videos that had more than 1 audio needed its like nope cant do it. It made 0 sense and i was refusing to keep editing if i had to deal with that! This fix worked perfectly thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is absolutely the fix I needed to link multiple audio clips to one video clip in Premiere! 

(I have been saved so many hours...truly you are a gift to us all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love you! This works on Premiere!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grouping clips will only let you move, disable, copy, or delete them together.

Grouping is not the same as linking or syncing.

Elements does not let you link or sync multiple audio tracks to a video clip.

You can however group multiple audio tracks to one video clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines