• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need media queries for Dracula's Site, but can't?

New Here ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off i am SUPER new to web design and am easily confused, so please be gentle with your jargon. I'm also using Dreamweaver CS6 because it's the one I've always had and I don't have much cash.

Right now i'm trying to put this site i designed together in dreamweaver for a class final. Assignment specifies it needs to be adjustable to 3 different screen sizes (desktop, tablet, mobile) but whenever I try to select Media Queries, i get an error message that reads "The Media Query Manager is not currently compatible with Fluid Grid Layouts"

Let me know if I need to post any more info like code or something!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Fluid Grid Layout (FGL), your design is, as the name suggests, fluid. This means that it is already for use in the three clients that you have mentioned.

If I were to design the site, adhering to the specification, I would not use FGL. I would design for mobile first and use media queries to adjust the layout for the two larger screens. To see what I mean, have a look at Responsive Web Design Introduction

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new page without using Fluid Grid Layouts, you will then be able to use Media Queries without issue.

FGL was a nice idea that never really worked out for DW, in fact, they've been completely removed from the program in later versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really cute concept!  At least you have a healthy sense of humor.  A good trait to have if you build web sites. 

I guess you don't have the actual site and code on line yet.  Based on your pictographic, this should not be too hard to do.  And I agree with others here.  Don't use legacy Fluid Grid Layouts.  It won't teach you anything you can use later. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank's for the advice! I actually already had the home page pretty much finished. Is there a way to copy/paste what I already have into a non FGL page? I tried copy/pasting the code, but something's not working out and the images don't show.

Also in my site the code for my divs is separated from the code for my CSS Styles. They're in separate tabs, one labeled Source Code and the other named Untitled.css. The new page doesn't have separate tabs.

And yeah, Nancy OShea, as soon as the concept came to me I knew I had no choice but to do it, haha. It's basically the plot of the first third of the Dracula book, but with a web designer instead of a banker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines