• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you maintain stroke width while animating using parent/child?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make an animation where all shapes retain their stroke width, even with parent/child relationships.

I have a little guy whose head/hair/face/arms need to follow his body, and then other little people follow his body as well. I can remove the stroke from each general shape group, pick whip each shape's individual scale to match that of the body, and readjust every single anchor point to match it, but this seems so tedious. I've applied a constant stroke expression to the stroke width but every time I build the artwork and then start to pick whip it, strokes start to get larger or smaller to match.

Has anyone made something like this that can help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Project was completed using different stroke expressions. It was tedious but not much other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to keep the layers from scaling in order to do what you are asking. That means the shapes themselves need to grow/shrink/etc., but not the layers containing them. This means a lot of work on building up expressions to make things follow without parenting any layers to each other.

Alternatively, you could also apply the stroke later using something like Effects>Generate>Vegas, setting it to use the alpha and then tweaking the settings to make it a solid stroke instead of many feathered lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way to maintain the weight of the stoke on layers is to apply it after any scale. By far the easiest way to do this is to use the Layer > Layer Styles >Stroke item in the menu. This will apply a Photoshop-style adjustment to the layer after it has been manipulated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry I was looking for days on the internet for a solution and they all involved expressions that only solved part of the problem. That was the most simple and elegant solution I found. I completely forgot about Layer style. Genial Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great. Perfect solve.  Been looking for something like that for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you a lot ...i search this problm with severel solution but not effectively and so much painto do it and not a solution for all cases.. you solution is the best quick and  precise thank you a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CarolyneO,

Did either of these suggestions help you achieve the results you wanted? Please let us know if you solved the issue or if you need more help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project was completed using different stroke expressions. It was tedious but not much other choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we still not have an option to maintain stroke width in AE when scaling up/down?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is indeed frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines