• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping an image as background layer not "layer 0"

New Here ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what happened, but when I open an image in a new project or copy and paste one it now changes it from background into "layer 0". When I try to add another layer it won't let me do anything with the other layers and all I can see is the image I selected. Has anyone had this problem? How do I fix it? I already reset my settings and it still does this.

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge by Moderator. Taking a guess and moving it to Photoshop General Discussion.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand the question .... makes no difference what the layer is called. Shouldn't effect anything regardless of what the layer is called. If you would rather that layer be called background then simply change it to that.

Unless I am missing something here ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's sort of hard to explain. I understand the renaming it part and I know how to of that, that's not the issue. When I open a new document it starts with the "background layer" that's it. I open or copy an image and it automatically renames it as "layer 0". The issue is when I try to add any other layers it only allows me to view "layer 0" where the image is even when I select the new layer. This is a problem because I cannot add any affect to the new layers since it only allows me to view the original layer with the image that was automatically renamed "layer 0" once I added the image to it. I'm not sure that makes anymore sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to illustrate this with a screenshot (icluding the Layers panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not sure what the renaming has to do with it? The names of the layers do not effect what you can and can't do to a layer. By your description it seems to be working as it should. You may need to post some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I'm dealing with this when I crop an image. Goes to layer 0. I just flatten the layer and it's background again. But it's really annoying to deal with!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the crop tool and look in the Options bar at the top. Check "Delete Cropped Pixels".

When this is unchecked, the result has to be a floating layer (Layer 0). A flat Background doesn't support pixels outside the edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a Script Events Manager option –

Open As Layer: Assign this to the open document event. This will promote a document with only a background layer to a layer with the document name.

Perhaps you have this set without knowing it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines