• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom changes RAW color

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import my raw images in CR2 format into Lightroom from my SD card it loads the images as I  tab through them and once they load they noticably wash out. It is especially noticeable with sunset photography. Also even the small image in the gallery photo selector at the bottom changes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

This is expected behavior. When images are first loaded Lightroom displays the embedded JPEG preview. That preview reflects all of the in-camera settings. But Lightroom builds a preview of the raw image data. Lightroom does not read the in-camera settings. This is because every camera maker designs their raw file format differently. So Adobe has programmed Lightroom to not read those settings. If you find that Lightroom consistently displays your raw data in a way that you always make the same c

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is expected behavior. When images are first loaded Lightroom displays the embedded JPEG preview. That preview reflects all of the in-camera settings. But Lightroom builds a preview of the raw image data. Lightroom does not read the in-camera settings. This is because every camera maker designs their raw file format differently. So Adobe has programmed Lightroom to not read those settings. If you find that Lightroom consistently displays your raw data in a way that you always make the same corrections, you can create a preset and apply that preset on import to make those "standard" adjustments. Or, you can make those adjustments on a newly imported image and then save new camera defaults. Then Lightroom will always apply those "standard" adjustments whenever you import new images or reset images that have already been imported.

This is a duplicate post, and we normally don't answer both of them. You have to understand that this is a user to user forum. People who answer questions are volunteering their time to do so. Sometimes it takes a little longer than you might like to get an answer. But it isn't good etiquette to post the same question  more than once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jim says, the initial seeing of the image is the preview JPG. You see this instead of a blank screen while LR interprets the raw data and creates an image from it. LR then does no processing on the image beyond applying the "adobe standard" profile.

What I do for my images is this:

Set the camera to use the "neutral" profile. (Nikon calls it a Picture Control.)

When importing into LR, I use a preset to automatically apply the Lightroom's "camera neutral" profile.

This results in LR showing me almost the same image as the camera does on its LCD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but I've only noticed it in a the last 2 days. I used to be able to import RAW photos in LR and it would appear flat as expected on Develop mode. Now, it has automatically changed the saturation, exposure etc. everytime I would import it in Develop mode. I shouldn't have to create a preset? What's going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if you are using a preset in the Import dialog.

Check to see what camera profile is being used in the "calibration" panel in the Develop module. The default is "adobe standard" which will make adjustments on you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import preset is set to None. Calibration is adobe standard. I haven't changed anything at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accidentally set the default settings for that camera.  Select one of the photos, go to Develop, and do Develop > Set Default Settings.  Then click Restore Adobe Default Settings.  That will fix the problem for new photos that you import.

If that doesn't help, then upload one of the problem raws to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will fix the problem for new photos that you import.

I forgot to add: If you click Reset in Develop of an existing photo, that will remove the previously set default camera settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines