Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Professional 10bit color grading workflow in Rec709

Engaged ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gday,

I am running an EVGA GTX 1060 FTW+ active with an EIZO CS2730. I need to set up two things:

1. Have a 10 bit workflow

2. Set up a correct rec709 color space to work in

Is anyone experienced in that workflow? I am using my system for video editing and color grading within premiere pro CC 2017. I am running windows 10 pro with the latest nvidia driver.

Does my graphic card support 10 bit? Only the displayport?

Also what are the correct rec709 values? EIZO ColorNavigator software does not realy have a rec709 preset installed so I found this:

Rec. 709 Reference Display

Is that the correct one?

I run through the calibration process with ColorNavigator and SPYDER 5 PRO. Looks fine so far. But did I use the correct profile or shall l calibrate manually? But where do i get the correct color profile settings? There are some discussion about the correct gamma or 2.2 or 2.6 and other values which is a bit confusing.

Really appreciate some advise. Thanks, Alex

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro just works in an assumed stock-standard Rec709. It would be nice to have some settings such as both AfterEffects and Resolve have, but ... currently ... we don't have those options. There is a list I've seen of the "standard" specs for Rec709, but I don't remember the mainline gamma setting for that space.

To get 10-bit display to a monitor typically requires the use of an output box from the computer ... BlackMagic, Kona, and Aja all make the things.

My colorist friends tend to have SPENDY ... as in 2-5K USD ... calibration setups. And every six months, have a service come in and fully calibrate plus calibrate their own gear. Or ship the gear to the manufacturer for re-calibration. I'm not capable of justifying that sort of expense. Judging yours is above my experience level.

And you will probably need to do at least a manual check or verification of your screen's output. With an appropriate sensitometer & software setup.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil. I've found a good color profile now in which I did some slight adjustments to the gamma level and wrote it to my monitor hardware. Looks good so far

I hope to get the 10 bit working on my GTX 1060 with a DP cable. Will be here tomorrow and can say more then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do post the results!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

got my DP cable today and everything works like a charm. Went into the NVIDIA panel and simply switched to 10bit. With the true 10bit EIZO monitor, colors look great. So no need to get a quadro I am sure if they 1060 does output 10bit. But i knew I did something right choosing EVGA for the second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome news. The Quadro's are pretty expensive, and even colorists try to avoid them, but for 10-bit output, it seemed necessary. 10-bit directly out of a GTX card to a 10-bit monitor ... sweet!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

are you sure that you really have 10bpc channel working on the EIZO monitor?

The reason I ask is that you will get pretty pictures on the Monitor but that is not the same as them actually being 10bit.

To confirm you might want to try 10 bit gradient test patterns. Somebody posted on avorums:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2269338-10-bit-gradient-test-patterns.html

You may have to buy a QUADRO card after all.

I hope ADOBE/NVIDIA do support 10bpc on on the 10*0 cards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines