Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Standard with 5D Mark 4 is really bad

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently having a problem with the Camera Standard profile in Lightroom CC for 5D mark IV. I used to have a Mark III where I almost always used the Camera Standard profile, but with the Mark 4 it's unusable. The profile completely crushes the picture, making blacks too black and reds too red.

Is there a fix, or something that could help with resolving this issue?

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Kasper

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

I've done extensive testing of the Adobe Standard and Camera Standard profiles for Canon EOS cameras:

Re: Canon 1dx II Color Issues with LR 6.7 HELP

..and more recently here specifically for the Canon EOS 5D MKIV Camera Standard profile:

Re: Problems with Canon 5D Mark IV files in LR CC

The Canon 5d MKIII and 5D MKIV Camera Standard rendering should be virtually identical, but not Adobe Standard . I suggest uploading CR2 image files shot at the same time, of the same scene, that exhibit the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done extensive testing of the Adobe Standard and Camera Standard profiles for Canon EOS cameras:

Re: Canon 1dx II Color Issues with LR 6.7 HELP

..and more recently here specifically for the Canon EOS 5D MKIV Camera Standard profile:

Re: Problems with Canon 5D Mark IV files in LR CC

The Canon 5d MKIII and 5D MKIV Camera Standard rendering should be virtually identical, but not Adobe Standard . I suggest uploading CR2 image files shot at the same time, of the same scene, that exhibit the issue you mention with Camera Standard profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my posts, my tests, and the answers :

- Canon EOS 5DMarkIV - Canon Community

- Camera Raw/Lightroom: 5D Mark IV, wrong dcp profile from adobe | Photoshop Family Customer Community

We talk about the same problem.

It's about how DCP Files are made for latests canon camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue you discuss concerns differences observed between the 5D MKIII and 5D MIV Camera Standard profiles. I agree they are slightly different, but they match similar differences observed in DPP using its 'Standard' camera profile. Adobe's 'Camera' profiles (Standard, Faithful, Portrait, etc.) are designed to emulate the same rendering inside LR and ACR. No attempt is made to make them "look the same" across different camera models. That is the objective of the Adobe Standard camera profile (same rendering across different camera models).

EDIT: You mention that changing the DPP 'Working color space' setting from Adobe RGB to sRGB provides 5D MKIV rendering that is closer to the 5D MKII's rendering. LR and ACR do not have the option of changing their working color space so your only option is to modify the camera profile.

As I mentioned the Adobe Standard profile was "changed" sometime in Q3 2014 to what appears to be a lower contrast Tone curve and lower color saturation. I am currently investigating this "change" with Adobe Engineering since all new Adobe Standard and 'Camera' named emulation profiles created since that date are incompatible with the Adobe DNG Profile Editor. The DPE Color Matrices panel controls no longer work properly. This makes it impossible to properly modify the new profiles to match the original rendering of earlier camera models (Previous to Q3 2014). You can add your 'Me To' vote at the below report:

Adobe DNG Profile Editor Issue - Incompatible With All Profiles Created After Q3 2014 | Photoshop Fa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer, but there is not any confusion.

77 canon DCP profiles made by adobe :

- 72 Profiles with a soft curve in shadows :

1.png

- 5 profiles with a strong curve in shadows ( all cameras after 2014 : 5DS, 5DSR, 80D, 1DX Mark II, 77D )

2.png

And with that kind of "strong curve" you get all the default coming with that : strong shadows, saturated colors (a hard curve makes a localised contrast, and contrast modify saturation).
That's why we get our "Strong shadows, clipped shadows, high red saturation in shadows" problem etc.
All these problems are caused by this curve.
I have mentioned a lot that I have edited the curve of the 5DMarkIV DCP profile with the 5DMarkIII curve, because, 5DMarkIII curve get a soft curve in shadows (before 2014), and so, the shadows are more "corrects", and saturation is gone.

I have edited Nikon cameras dcp Profiles too, and there is no DCP profiles containing a strong curve.

So, i understand you get a problem with your adobe standard (which is really horrible in fact !), but we are talking about the "Camera Standard" rendering that is to strong in shadows and to saturated (red is more visible than other colors).

And, it's about "Tone mapping" (Linear Gamma to a gamma curve), so, the DCP Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do it properly using a colour checker. Don't rely on pre-built profiles, make a profile specifically for your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines