• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the widths of a two-column, one-page document?

Participant ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm setting-up a one-page news-release that has two columns,

but can't seem to find a way to change the widths of the columns.

Thank you,

Morty

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Hi Morty—

1) I only wanted two columns, but you're suggesting I make two out of 3 (?)

An easy way to divide the page equally is to use the page margins as a grid. If that is confusing, don't worry about the grid. Just draw the frames. The one on the left should be narrower than the one on the right. Keep it simple.

2) But then I'm typing above the page margin if I can't draw the text frame within the margin

—and why couldn't I?

ACTUALLY, even with the text frame above the page margin, I can begin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways to make two columns: (1) two text frames with the text threaded between the two frames; or (2) one frame with two columns within in. Which is it? A screen capture would be helpful. What InDesign version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve…

I'll attach a jpg of my document, AND one of someone else's news release

that I'm attempting to emulate.

To answer your question: I was attempting one frame with two columns, different widths

—however your "two text frames with the text threaded between the two frames"

sounds promising, BUT what do you mean by that?

One thing I didn't realize until after I posted this question:

Not only can I not adjust the widths of my columns, BUT I also cannot type text into

the column on the right.

By the way—I originally had a gutter between the columns, which I eliminated.

I have InDesign CC 2017.

Looking forward,

Morty

news release TS book.png

press release Coffee House.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Grids & Guides > and click on Lock Column Guides to uncheck it. Now you can drag the columns to asymmetrical measures. Don't forget to put a gutter between Column Guides. (Layout > Margins and Columns ...)

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael—but not happening.

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty:

Here's what I would do to get the look of the page you are trying to emulate: set up a 3-column document or page, and then shift your thinking of columns as columns, and think of them as an underlying grid. Then you can draw a one-column frames for the left column, and a 1-column frame over the two on the right.

~Barb

InDesign CCss_004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being thick, Barb, but I can't get this to work.

And when/if I can, I don't want the "columns" to be equal in width

—the left one should be as in the ad I attached.

Thanks,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Morty: Let's step back for a moment. Are you clear how to define columns?

1. Via File > New
  2. On the master pages with Layout > Margins and Columns
  3. On an individual body page with Layout > Margins and Columns

Designers are trained to design on a grid. Columns represent the grid, and they draw frames on top. For more info on the concept, see:

https://designschool.canva.com/blog/grid-design/

Alternatively, you can simply move the exisiting guides anywhere you like. There are three steps:

1. Unlock the column guides
    InDesign CCss_005.png
  2. Select the Move tool Selection tool!
  3. Place the Move tool Selection tool! right on a purple guide (note the confirmation of placement—it's the small black rectangle under the cursor when you are in the right location to move them.)
    InDesign CCss_006.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good description, Barb. One tiny correction: Column guides are moved with the Selection (or "black arrow") tool. The Move tool is in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are so right, Steve! I corrected the mistake, above. 

I really should just stick to one forum, but it was so quiet this morning on the InDesign forum...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barb, Steve, and Michael,

I hope what I'm going to tell you doesn't lock me out of Adobe InDesign community,

and I beg your forgiveness and thank you again for offering your help.

Why on earth (or ANYWHERE) would I think of creating a news release in InDesign??

I can't have it printed at Staples, and I'm only going to have 50 copies for starters.

Best wishes,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morty, you would export a PDF and that is what Staples (or elsewhere) would use to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee whillikers, MW and all good people at InDesign community—

How could I have assumed Staples couldn't print from a PDF?

Please keep this discussion open!

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF is a "digital master." I contains everything needed for printing. You don't need to bring fonts, or linked graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Barb,

But when I made two columns out the the three—with widths as I want them,

I can only type in the first column, so I created another document with only two columns,

but same thing happened—could only type in first column.

However, when I keep typing in the first column, the text not only continues to the second,

but is even in the gutter.

Thank you,

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. First set up the columns
  2. Then draw frames over the columns
  3. Optionally, you can set a frame to be one or more columns with Object > Text Frame Properties. (See yellow frame below.)

InDesign CCss_008.png

If text is moving from one frame to another, the frames are threaded (connected). Using the page you are trying to emulate as a guide, you don't need threaded text frames, nor do you need to divide the right text frame into multiple columns.

InDesign CCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I just repled to your 5-21  3:35p.m. reply, Barb,

including a jpg, I got a message that I didn't have permission to

participate in this discussion.

Let's see of this goes through, and if not I'll reply to your email (if I can!).

Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay—my reply to you of a few minutes ago went through,

so I'll attempt the one before that which didn't go through (didn't see it anyhere,

so I'll re-do it.

1. Was able to get my two columns the widths I want, and create text boxes in them,

BUT could only start the text boxes a bit about the text frames, and when I used

the pointer to move them down, the text frames themselves were also moved down.

2. I was able to type in both text frames, BUT could only delete the text in the left one.

Thanks, again,

Morty

news release setup show Barb.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not following you here, Morty.

1.) You appear to have set up columns on the page as 2 columns, no gutter, so they are not effectively working for you as a grid to divide the page into thirds.

2.) Text boxes and text frames are the same thing. Yes, they are above your pink top margin, and yes, if you move them down, they will move down. The contents will move down with them.

create text boxes in them, BUT could only start the text boxes a bit about the text frames, and when I used the pointer to move them down, the text frames themselves were also moved down.

3.) I can't tell from the screen shot why you can't delete text in the left frame.

1. Is the frame on the body page?
  2. Is the frame locked?

Let's just simplify this. To create the desired page, create a new blank, 1 column page. Draw text frames where you want to add text, and graphics frames where you want to add images. (No idea why my screen shots are hiding the right lines, but they are there on my screen.)

InDesign CCss_009.pngInDesign CCss_010.png

I can't tell if the disconnect is on understanding how the margins and columns work (pink and purple lines on the page), or how frames (text, graphic and unassigned) work.

The community forums are a great place to get a question answered, but they are not meant to substitute for a training class. I'm just about to start my Intro to InDesign class, and we will have covered all this and more by lunch. You have access to amazing trainers in New York. Less expensive alternatives include working through Adobe InDesign CC 2017 Classroom in a Book, or watching "InDesign CC 2017 Essential Training" with David Blatner on Lynda.com. (Here's a link for 10 free days: Online Video Tutorials at lynda.com • lynda.com). These are three great ways to learn InDesign, and then pop in and ask us anytime you get stuck. We'll be here for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you decide to make columns from individual text frames and you expect text to flow into the columns, they have to be threaded:

Thread text among frames in Adobe InDesign

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.47.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto on my just-sent reply to you, Rob.

—Morty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Morty—

1) I only wanted two columns, but you're suggesting I make two out of 3 (?)

An easy way to divide the page equally is to use the page margins as a grid. If that is confusing, don't worry about the grid. Just draw the frames. The one on the left should be narrower than the one on the right. Keep it simple.

2) But then I'm typing above the page margin if I can't draw the text frame within the margin

—and why couldn't I?

ACTUALLY, even with the text frame above the page margin, I can begin typing WITHIN the page margin. I that okay, then?

You should be able to draw the frames to align on the margins (pink) and columns (purple). But if you are having trouble, you can select the text frames with the Selection tool and tug on the handles until they snap to the guides. Once the frames are in the right place, just start typing. Here I encourage you to look at margin and column guides as well, guides. They guide you, but you can always pull frames outside of the guides to make things fit. The printer doesn't care if your text falls inside or outside of the margin or column guides. Just make it fit, make it pretty, and don't get too close to the edge of the page.

3) No—I could delete the text in the left text frame, but not in the right…

Yes, the right text frame is on the body page…

No, the right text frame is not locked.

You have two frames in your screen shot. A narrow one on the left, and a wider one on the right. They are outined in blue. I don't see anything in your left frame. It is completely empty in your screen shot.

I do see two columns of text in the wider frame on the right. To remove the contents of that frame, click on the text in either column, choose Edit > Select All and then press Delete on your Mac keyboard. Then you can start over. Or delete the frame, and redraw it, in case there are settings in there that are causing the problem.

Now, knowing that this is your very last project, here is a link to a template that mimics the page you are trying to create: Dropbox - Morty​. I've included the .indd file if you have 2017, and an .idml file if you are on a early version. Replace the text, add images in the frames with Xs, modify the frame widths if you like, and you should be done in no time.

You can use it, modify it or ignore it. Whatever you like!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just what the doctor ordered, Barb

("…a link to a template that mimics the page you are trying to create: Dropbox - Morty. …")

but try as I may, including Preferences and unlocking Snap to Guides, I can't adjust the leading on the attached,

in which I even put 0 as leading, as IN the attached.

Thanks,

Morty

for Barb leading can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you press Return at the end of every line? If so, restore the leading value to typesize + 2 (or so) and reduce the space above (or below) paragraph values.

InDesign CCss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when I made two columns out the the three—with widths as I want them,

I can only type in the first column, so I created another document with only two columns,

but same thing happened—could only type in first column.

However, when I keep typing in the first column, the text not only continues to the second,

but is even in the gutter.

Just in case it isn't clear from the other posts: the Columns and Margins setup in the New Document dialog, or Margins and Columns under the Layout menu (which can be applied to pages of an existing document), only affect the page guides and not existing text frames, or text frames you make.

So here I'm changing the margin and column guides for the selected pages:

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.35.28 AM.png

If I want to affect the text frame itself I have to choose Object>Text Frame Options:

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.37.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.37.39 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines