• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ensuring phone versions of site do not revert to cache

New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a Muse file that is being published then re-published with amends - our client has noticed that he is not seeing updates on the phone version of the site when the site is updated. Short of clearing the phone cache (which is obviously not practical / professional for our entire audience when the site is live) is there a way to force the latest updates from the server end to ensure old cached versions are not displayed for those who have already visited the old version of the site on the same URL?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

I would assume your host server is using a proxy... very common with older wordpress and apache servers but not something you can control with outside code.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the "old site" is in their cache. If the go to their website and still their cache uses the older version, there´s no way except they

clear their cache or try it several times, until their mobile realizes:" Aha, there are some changes-go quick and grab the new one."

As far as I know, I could not think of something to force other mobiles to what you want.

Maybe Ussnorway​ or Pavel Homeriki​ have some ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We haven't seen such issue with Muse site till now.

However, your issue is browser dependent.

Some people have tried to find out a solution here javascript - How to force browser to reload cached CSS/JS files? 

Please check and let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume your host server is using a proxy... very common with older wordpress and apache servers but not something you can control with outside code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all,

I believe (though we are still in the course of verifying) that both cases originated from abroad (One in Kuala Lumpur and one in the Middle East) I know UK expats often use proxys by choice to hide IP details and access UK restricted content. Is there any way other than clearing the cache for these users (which obviously presents its own issues) in which they can view our updated sites? (It seems clear from your post that nothing can be done to resolve the issue from our side)

BR,

James.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the internet has rules for a reason and proxy servers are custom networks so they need their own fixs... i.e, if you know what type of proxy they use then yes you can add custom rules that allow for updates but thats something that should have already been done at their end and not something you can fix form outside.

p.s, ime people that still use proxy servers have gotten used to refreshing their browsers anyway... outdated data is just the price you pay for using a proxy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - a quick further question if I may - I'm told another user viewed the site simultaneously to our client in Kuala Lumpur who had never logged into the site before. They were then presented with legacy content (an old version of the same site on the same URL). If I understand correctly they should not be seeing cache content or require to clear their cache as their device has never 'seen' this site before.

Is this issue again likely related to the use of a proxy server? I appreciate your response cannot be definitive given the lack of complete information..

Browser used: Safari

Device: i-phone

Connection: 4G

Thanks again,

BR,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would have to assume this other i-phone logging in at the same time is also logging in on the same network (prob a wifi) so yes but unless you know someone in Kuala Lumpur with i-phones it can't be tested, one way or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines