Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom .."Please select a source "

Explorer ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When in development mode every 3 mins or  so I keep being taken to the screen which asks "Please select  a source "

I download images from a CF card reader into folders on my PC. I remove the CF card when images are in the PC folder.

Any ideas as to why I keep being taken to the screen which asks "Please select  a source " ?

I have the latest update installed

Many thanks

LR.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not in Develop mode, you're in the import dialog and Lightroom is waiting for you to import images. Lightroom is expecting you to choose a folder that has images needing to be imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in develop mode and working on images which have been imported from the folder on my PC, this is when I get taken to "Please select  a source " , I select cancel and get back to Develop mode. My source is a hard drive on my PC.This happens every few minutes which is very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your camera connected to the computer or do you have a card inserted into a card reader with Lightroom configured to start when a card is detected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No camera  connected , I'll  check if LR is configured to start when CF is detected, although it doesn't at the moment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discovered the problem... my CF card reader is always plugged in to the PC . When I unplug it the problem in LR goes away.

It doesn't have a CF card in the reader but LR keeps asking for a source when its plugged in !

Problem solved, thanks for help guys 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this problem.   I was going crazy trying to do my Christmas photoes and kept getting the select screen.   I had a CF card reader plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This "Select a source" dialog was driving me crazy until I read your experience. Unlike you, my permanently connected device is a USB 3.0 MyPassport 4TB drive. Sure enough, I disconnected this drive and the dialog stops OR I select a folder on that drive this dialog stops but only for that session the next time I open LR it again drives me crazy.

The funny thing is there is 1 more USB 3.0 drive connected to my desktop, it doesn't complain about that drive. But then my catalog resides on this drive.
I need to keep both drives always connected so am watching this space for any solutions.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments-

1. Check your Lr preferences/General Tab:  Uncheck this option.

ScreenShot033.jpg

2. Check your OS preferences.  eg. for WIndows-10 "AutoPlay" options- (I have "Take no action" as my default.)

ScreenShot034.jpg

3. You might Import one single photo from the MyPassport 4TB drive into the Lr Catalog- thereafter Lr will recognize the drive and not prompt an import until requested.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your suggestions.

I had the setting 1 & 2 set as suggested. 1 by default and 2nd as that's how I set all my HDD's

The 3rd as mentioned earlier works but only for that session, when LR is restarted its back to throwing up the add source dialog.

So that's what I am doing for now 1st thing when I start LR, works but is painful.
Would like a more permanent resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have other USB sockets that you could change the external drive to? Or swap the external drives to different sockets- see if that changes the 'Import- start up'.

For some strange reason Lightroom seems to be identifying this one drive as "Removable media". Also if the drive has a "Sleep" function, each time it awakens Lr sees the "Removable media" as a source to Import.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for your response

For some strange reason Lightroom seems to be identifying this one drive as "Removable media". Also if the drive has a "Sleep" function, each time it awakens Lr sees the "Removable media" as a source to Import.

This was one of the first things I had thought and apart from setting the sleep on the OS also downloaded the MyPassport utility and deactivated the sleep on that. Apart from that had written a small script to do some read and write operation on the drive, even then the add source screen would show up. Any way I dont think its a drive power saving problem as screen starts showing up within a couple of mins of starting on LR and successive appearance of screens is at about 30s.

Do you have other USB sockets that you could change the external drive to? Or swap the external drives to different sockets- see if that changes the 'Import- start up'.

Before my initial mail, I had tried connecting on empty ports, both 2.0 and 3.0 but ended with the same result.

After your suggestion, I switched the ports

restarted LR : Same result
restarted Computer: Same result

So I thought it won't work and switched back to original ports

restarted LR: No import startup screen.

I pushed my luck and restarted computer and again no startup screen. So for some reason when back to the original configuration  and no changes the problem is 'fixed'

But not knowing what caused it or what fixed it the setup seems shaky and a slight breeze in the form of a driver update, windows update or LR update could well end this run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Jim's response, your import is set to "add" which means it will NOT be copying any files to a new location. This is bad if your source is not your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines