Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate Normal Map - seamless?

Engaged ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Where is the tick box to enable normal/bump map mode to be seamless? I'm getting lots of artifacts on top/bottom/edges of my maps!

Regards

Dariusz

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Hi

Why is it broken - it depends on the texture being used whether it will be visible, and even then whether the normal map is being tiled or just used once. Many use Photoshop for relatively simple work but turn to a proper 3D program for anything more serious. Photoshop is great for compositing 3D elements with 2D layers but is limited in its 3D capabilities.

You can report an issue and request additional features  at the link below , where it is more likely to be seen by Adobe staff.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you generated it from a layer that will tile seamlessly?

If not then it is easy to do :

Start with a square (or rectangular image) 4 with your intended map my example is 1024 x 1024

Use Filter- Other -Offset to move it half to the right and half down (in my case 512x512) and check wraparound

Use a brush or clone stamp to tidy up the edge joins which now run down the centre

Now it will tile so generate your bump/normal map and set the number or tiles you want to use in the dialogue

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Thanks for idea Dave but my texture is 8k and 16k big with very fine details... I cant fix it by hand.

Is there really no Seamless option? Why did they release a normal/bump tool for Photoshop if we cant use it on textures?

Just to confirm it, my base layer is seamless. But when I do 3D>Normal thini I dont get seamless result

here is the screnschot of issue >

normalIssue.JPG

And another one:

normalIssue2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried a 16k x 8k texture and do not get those results.

Just to be clear - is that screenshot the resulting normal map or is that the normal map - then tiled?

Are you able to post a link to your texture and I will try it here

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the procedure

4k texture

4k > to normal map

4k normal map > offset 2k each way

> result screenshot center of the image.

I'll get you an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I don't see anything wrong with your process other than I would usually run an offset on the initial texture just to check it really is seamless.

If you can send the initial texture I will run the rest and post the result

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I just did a new texture from scratch, tile it up, seam it up, did normal. I get normal errors. Attached both source texture and after normal processing the error- its already offseted by 2k.)

WeTransfer

Even made a video... normalIssue - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Well the bad news is, I can replicate your issue - the base layer is seamless the normal map is not.

The good news is - I have a workaround.

1. Take your base-layer and make a duplicate.

2. Offset the duplicate by half height and width (in your case 2048px) and wraparound

3. Make a normal map from the base layer

4. Make a normal map from the offset duplicate

5. Add a layer mask to the duplicate to hide all

6. Offset the base layer by half height and width (in your case 2048px) and wraparound so it now has the same offset as the duplicate and you will see the tiling issue

7. Paint with a white brush onto the mask over the cracks - i.e. paint a cross on the mask. Don't worry about the width - the layers are identical except for the tiling issue.

8. Flatten

9. Offset by half height and width (in your case 2048px) and wraparound to restore the normal map to it's original position in relation to the texture.

You now have a normal map back in it's original position but with those edge errors corrected.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

hehe yeah I guess it could work... but not sure.

I still wonder why has Adobe released photoshop with a broken plugin? Its a new feature for 2017 isnt it? Has they not did any test on it prior to release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - not a new feature - it has been around a while.

My workaround does work - I tried it last night

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Oh right I just noticed it. So it's an old feature since I guess 2014? Why is it still broken? Or does no1 use it because it's broken?

I know that your work around work. But if I have multiple maps with different details it will be very hard to manage after a while. If I have 15 specific texture in a layer that then need another 15 copies for fixing and so on. Seeing as processing of 16/32k at 16-32 bit depth maps can take a lot of time. Not only that why is there no profile settings to store/load for the actions?

Must say Adobe really know how to take out the "Pro" out of Photoshop and leave it just for moms retouching their exes out of pictures - sorry just angry and disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Why is it broken - it depends on the texture being used whether it will be visible, and even then whether the normal map is being tiled or just used once. Many use Photoshop for relatively simple work but turn to a proper 3D program for anything more serious. Photoshop is great for compositing 3D elements with 2D layers but is limited in its 3D capabilities.

You can report an issue and request additional features  at the link below , where it is more likely to be seen by Adobe staff.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

I thought this forum was being monitored my adobe devs too... huh ok will post there, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines