Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The "save media cache files next to originals"-box keeps unchecking

New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

My entire harddrive keeps on filling up when I'm editing on my project, because Premiere is constantly generating peak files and conforming files at a level that takes up 80+ GB of space on my harddrive, which is far more than I want to use on that on my internal harddrive. I'd much rather that such files were stored on my external harddrive. So I check the "save media cache files next to originals"-box. But whenever I press OK, and re-open, the box is unchecked. And thus my harddrive keeps on filling up.

What's a boy to do?

Premiere Pro 2017.1.1

I'm on a 15-inch Mid-2015 MacBookPro using Sierra 10.12.4.

I hope you can help me

Best,

Jonas

P.S. I think it might be related to the fact that I can't seem to sync my settings (not that I need to, but I hoped it still might solve the problem somehow).

P.P.S. Let me know if y'all need more info.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated one windows 10 machine to 11.1.1 last night and saw this exact same problem. So you are not alone. I have reported it as a bug, as it was not in 11.0.2 which was the previous version on this machine.

You should be able to install a previous version of premiere 11.1.0 (but I think this has a cache deleting bug) or 11.0.2 and open your project, since these are bug fixed (Hmmm) versions and not a major update version.

Later edit: Version 11.1.2 (2017.1.2) fixes this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew_S  wrote

I updated one windows 10 machine to 11.1.1 last night and saw this exact same problem. So you are not alone. I have reported it as a bug, as it was not in 11.0.2 which was the previous version on this machine.

You should be able to install a previous version of premiere 11.1.0 (but I think this has a cache deleting bug) or 11.0.2 and open your project, since these are bug fixed (Hmmm) versions and not a major update version.

Later edit: Version 11.1.2 (2017.1.2) fixes this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11.1.1 was an emergency patch to fix the serious bug in 11.1.0 where Premiere was permanently deleting project media, no? It's not an actual bugfix patch? IIRC, the media deletion bug had to do with Premiere 11.1's new auto cache deletion function, and had something to do with the location of the cache --- i.e. if the cache files were stored next to your media, Premiere would just delete everything in the folder, rather than differentiating between the cache files and your media. I think that's what the issue is, anyway...?
It's entirely possible that instead of actually fixing the problem, the 11.1.1 patch just disabled the ability to have your cache files saved next to your original footage. If Adobe can actually figure out the bug, maybe they'll restore the functionality in a later version?

Dunno for sure; that's just a guess.

Frankly, it's probably safer and easier just to stick with 11.0.2 for a few more months...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, and it's very frustrating!

Hope to see a quick solution here soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any answers on this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar situation where the "save media cache files next to originals" isn't (and can't be) checked,  but Premiere actually suddenly started saving media cache files next to the originals instead of my media cache folder! I cannot get Premiere to save the files in the media cache folder anymore (tried making a new folder but same result).

Anyone any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when Pr is acting weird it helps to trash preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have done the trick. Note for others having this issue: just resetting the prefs didn't do anything, I had to trash the actual prefs folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines