• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot print B&W in Photoshop CC. Under the printer dialogue box, the b&w option is grayed out. Does anyone know why?

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot print B&W in Photoshop CC. Under the printer dialogue box, the b&w option is grayed out. Does anyone know why?

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to the Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

What brand and model printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running OS Sierra 10.12.5 and I have an old Epson 2200. But the same thing was happening with my old computer which was running Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely the drivers apple provides for that particular printer don't support that function.

Did you try printing From Preview?

/Applications/Preview.app

You can convert your photo to Black and White in photoshop before printing.

Go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Black & White

Also, here's a step by step of how this person prints Black and White photos using the 2200.

https://luminous-landscape.com/2200-bw/

If no one else here responds with ideas you might try the Epson forum.

https://www.printerforums.net/forums/epson.12/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The image is already a grayscale image, and a scan of 35 mm film, so there's no hidden digital information making it anything but grayscale. I used to be able to print b&w, no problem. I think the issue occurred (on my old computer) when I upgraded to Yosemite. And now with Sierra, the problem continues.

I will go take a look at those links. - Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - I'm not sure it's an Epson problem, as I can print b&w in other applications such as Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If try to print from Preview is the Black and White preset grayed out?

In Lightroom the B&W preset isn't greyed out?

This what your talking about in the Print Settings>Presets>Black and White?

preset.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

joolk  wrote

Also - I'm not sure it's an Epson problem, as I can print b&w in other applications such as Lightroom.

I'm assuming you mean the Black option in the Ink section?

Unfortunately I had to let go of my 2200 a few years ago, but in trying this out with my current Epson printers, the choice of black-ink-only printing is available for only some of the media types. Were you printing to the same media (paper) type selection in Lightroom as you are in Photoshop? For example, my Epson drivers will let me choose Black if I set them to Plain Paper, but it will disable Black if I choose a photo-quality paper such as Photo Paper Glossy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines