Exit

How do I make the 1st page after the cover page 1

New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wracking my brain on how to ask this.

I have a cover

I want the cover to be 1st, then a blank page so that page 1 and 2 are a left-right spread, with page 1 on the left.

I tried the whole numbering thing suggested and it ends up making my 1st page on the right.. weird.. I just don't get the results other people describe.  Is there a simple way to make the COVER a 2-page spread?  I can handle a 2nd page that I can put additional information in, but no matter how I try to do it, the 1st cover page is stuck as a single page that screws up the alignment of the following pages.  Arg.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

InDesign follows a millennium-old tradition: even numbers on the left; odd numbers on the right. See the Pages panel menu button > Numbering and Section Options.

If you want to make 2 pages in a left-right spread sit side-by-side; make the left page numbered as an even number; for example 2.

Consider downloading my pre-made docs that show how to make gatefolds and printer's imposition pages:

http://trainingonsite.com/images/downloads/InDesign_CC_Page_Setups.zip

If you really insist on doing it agai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign follows a millennium-old tradition: even numbers on the left; odd numbers on the right. See the Pages panel menu button > Numbering and Section Options.

If you want to make 2 pages in a left-right spread sit side-by-side; make the left page numbered as an even number; for example 2.

Consider downloading my pre-made docs that show how to make gatefolds and printer's imposition pages:

http://trainingonsite.com/images/downloads/InDesign_CC_Page_Setups.zip

If you really insist on doing it against Western-culture book-making tradition, go to the pages panel menu button, and switch off both switches that mention Shuffling. Then, you can number your pages in the non-standard way you are trying to achieve.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I just don't understand how InDesign deals with the covers for your books... are you supposed to do them separately from the actual book?   And then merge them later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the job. If it requires different paper or is full color with the rest black only then yes, a second file would be the way to go.

Best thing to do is talk to your printer. We’d just be guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm basically making a PDF that people can print out if they buy it.  So I guess, if I get down to it, I don't even care what the page numbers do as long as they do it consistently.  It just bugs the perfectionist in me that it is so difficult to figure out.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The view of a PDF's pages depends on the PDF viewer not InDesign. You can save an initial view for a facing page document in AcrobatPro and AcrobatPro or Reader will honor the view, but most other PDF readers will not. In the end you have little control over how the client sees the PDF. As long as you export Pages (not Spreads), the view won't affect the PDF printing

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 6.28.51 PM.png

The initial view saved as Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page) in AcrobatPro

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 6.35.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines