• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't open .cr2 files from my Canon EOS 80D

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, a bit of history. This was working fine on my old pc which was a Windows10 32 bit upgraded from Windows7.

The new pc is Windows10 Anniversary Edition 64bit. I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Photoshop, I have all the latest updates. I could open the files from the EOS 80D just fine on my old pc, the new one won't open them in Photoshop but Windows can open them just fine. I can open .cr2 files from my old EOS 70D (which I no longer have) and also from a NIkon D40X (.NEF). I've tried the Adobe DNG converter and it doesn't recognize the files as being valid files.

The error I get is that Photoshop cannot open this file. The same file opened on the old pc

What options do I have?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Hi

You have not said which version of Photoshop you are using.

In principle - make sure that you are using the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw which is compatible with your version of Photoshop.

Update information for older versions of Adobe Photoshop

If that version of ACR still does not support your camera then download the very latest version of DNG convertor then use Photoshop with the latest ACR you installed as above to open the DNG file.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You have not said which version of Photoshop you are using.

In principle - make sure that you are using the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw which is compatible with your version of Photoshop.

Update information for older versions of Adobe Photoshop

If that version of ACR still does not support your camera then download the very latest version of DNG convertor then use Photoshop with the latest ACR you installed as above to open the DNG file.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it is Photoshop CS6, fully up to date. The DNG won't see the file to convert it. But the file  will open in Windows10 Photo Viewer and it could be opened on the old machine with the same vesions of Photoshop and Camera Raw. Although I did notice that on Adobe's website it says that this camera is not supported by the version of Camera Raw that works with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

According to the ACR link I posted the Canon 80D needs ACR9.5 to open its files. That version is not compatible with CS6.

So two steps.
1. Can you ensure you are using the current version of the DNG convertor (which is version 9.9)  and is available in the link I posted.

2. Ensure that you are using ACR9.1.1 which is the most up to date for CS6.

If DNG 9.9 does not recognise your file - post a link to a CR2 and I will try one here

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craigc12678701  wrote

The DNG won't see the file to convert it.

The DNG converter does not see files. It batch coverts folders of Raw files at a time - even if you're only converting one.

So are you pointing the converter at the folder containing the Raw file(s)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the original problem remains but at least the DNG converter now sees the files that I need. In response to John Waller, the problem that I was having with DNG was that it saw no files in the folder to convert.

What happened is that I trusted the link that I found on the Adobe web site. It lead me to an older version of the DNG converter even though it claimed to lead to the latest. The link provided by davescm pointed to a version that will correctly work with the files that I needed.

This solution isn't perfect, but it is functional for now.

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running PS 2017, both PS and CR are fully updated and I am using a Canon EOS Rebel xsi which according to Adobe is a supported device and I still get an error that says PS cannot open this file but here is a link to the supported camera page which pretty much brings me back to where I started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VCT@SCC  wrote

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel xsi .

Can you confirm that your camera is the Rebel XSi? That camera was released in April 2008.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi Specs - CNET

It has been supported for many years in Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  I have made sure that both Photoshop and Camera Raw are up to date as suggested but when I look for the profiles I can't find any of the rebel series profiles.          /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Camera

I see several EOS and Powershot models but not the ones that I need.  Canon EOS Rebel XS, XSi, XTi, T-1  None of them from the rebel series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those camera profiles are used to adjust colour rendering when processing Raw files. If there's no file specifically for your camera model then other profiles are used (Adobe Standard I think) unless you create a custom profile.

Adjust color rendering for your camera in Adobe Camera Raw

Raw support for reading the Raw data from the sensor and opening the file is determined by your version of the Camera Raw plugin. Help > About Plug-Ins > Camera Raw.

You should have 9.10 installed which definitely supports the XSi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I don have that installed.  I also downloaded and installed the most recent version of the DNG converter and that doesn't recognize the file either, I assume for the same reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any version of Camera Raw which ships with Photoshop CC 2017 can read XSi Raw files so something else must be going on.

It could be a corrupted file or a host of other reasons.

Can you upload a typical Raw file that you cannot open to Dropbox or similar and post a link so we can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines