Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Gradient issues

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I've seen this in a few other forum posts but couldn't really figure it out.  And instead of commenting on something a couple of years old I figured I'd start my own forum thread.

I'm running into this gradient issue.  I figured it could be the 8-bit vs 16 vs 32-bit stuff but that doesn't really fix it.  I'm on a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro Retina that's provided through work.  It has a GT 750M gpu with the 2.5 Ghz intel i7.  I'm guessing it could be a graphics issue but I have no idea why it's doing this.

I'm running into the issue of having a gradient create rings within the gradient.  I read through some of the other forum posts and tried switching between 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit to see if that fixed it but, with new files, it's still occuring.  Any advice?  This occurs with both very wide gradients and large brushes with 0% hardness.  It's extremely noticeable in the second image - with multiple layers of overlapping color.

Thanks,

T.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 4.17.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-23 at 4.29.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-23 at 4.17.16 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Try this workaround on your gradient.

After you put a gradient on your layer, choose Layer > New Fill Layer Gradient. Use the same gradient but make it a little larger, like around 120% or so. Then change the layer mode to Color and lower the opacity to taste.

Before and after

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No problem with starting a new post - it is often better than resurrecting a very old one .

What you are seeing is banding due to the limited steps between brightness levels at 8 bit. It is resolved by working at a higher bit depth (i.e. 16 bit) however even if you switch your image to 16 bit mode (or 32bit) your display will still be working at 8 bit (there are  few  high end monitors that work at 10 bit). So switching to 16 bit mode will take the banding out of your file - but not out of your screenview.

If you are producing files that will be viewed on normal monitors (i.e viewed in 8 bit) work in 16 bit for the image and add just a little noise - which will help hide the banding.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this workaround on your gradient.

After you put a gradient on your layer, choose Layer > New Fill Layer Gradient. Use the same gradient but make it a little larger, like around 120% or so. Then change the layer mode to Color and lower the opacity to taste.

Before and after

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines