• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Did Photoshop's interface and features change much in 2015 upgrade?

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I went back to school and enrolled in an accredited national online college to get my web design certificate.  One of the classes is Photoshop. Another is Illustrator. Nothing in the online video tutorials seems to match up with my Photoshop installed on my computer.  Yep, I'm working with the latest Cloud version. 

I'm upset w/ this college because the teachers won't admit that the tutorials are outdated.  I did a little research and found the web developer who originally produced them in...2012!

I'm new to Photoshop so I can't tell what's changed in Photoshop, simply by comparing the old with the new. I want to prove to the college that their info is old so I can get my money back, or pressure them into updating their course material for the benefit of all their students.  They charged me $2500 for these two classes.  

I sure would appreciate if you could reply with 1 - 5 things (interface design/ tool naming, tool functionality) that have changed as a result of the major 2015 update.

Feeling pretty bummed.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen

If the tutorials were indeed produced in 2012 then they are likely to be using Photoshop CS6.

The current version is CC2017.1.1

Many things remain the same, and therefore some CS6 tutorials do remain valid, however see attached link for major features of each release since then:

Adobe Photoshop version history - Wikipedia

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave!  Already feeling better. Yes, I'm using the current CC2017.1.1 version. The school is using very outdated video tutorials, and not even revealing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please confirm which version of Photoshop you are using.

Have you got a link to the version shown in the online tutorials?

The current version is CC 2017.1.1. If you really are working with the latest Cloud version, it would not be CC 2015.

Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 (May 2017) Update Now Available

There are lots of changes since 2012. Refer the new features articles published by Adobe

New features summary for the 2017 release of Photoshop CC

Feature summary | Photoshop CC | 2015.x releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John, I'm using the most current version which is CC 2017.1.1.  The college is using very outdated video tutorials and lessons, but has not admitted this.  I appreciate the the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, some of the icons in the tool bar have been slightly re-designed, notably the Move tool. The functionality hasn't changed, and if you have tool tips on it should be easy to figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines