Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to shoot 16:9/stop motion

Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to make a stop motion video and was wondering how to shoot RAW photos 16:9? I have a Canon t5i. Or at the very least shoot HQ JPEGs at 16:9. (I do not want to be in video mode as it doesn't let you control shutter speed past 1/30sec). I will be shooting in M mode (stills).

Also, what is the best way to make a 12fps stop motion in Premiere? I have done this before, but I had to rig it to make it go 6 or 8fps. Premiere seems to love presets, so its difficult to work outside of the presets I find.

Any advice would be appreciated!

(PS I do think there is a way to adjust aspect ratio in Camera Raw - thru the cropping tool, but I can't seem to make that go at the moment)

Josie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Also, what is the best way to make a 12fps stop motion in Premiere? I have done this before, but I had to rig it to make it go 6 or 8fps. Premiere seems to love presets, so its difficult to work outside of the presets I find.

the common frame rate for shooting is 12 fps, and for editing the sequence is 24fps. so you import the sequence, interpret it as 12fps, but use a 24fps sequence. there will be no difference in playback, as each frame will be duplicated once. as for presets, you can always ch

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAW will make this more difficult.

RAW or JPEG, you should be able to set up the aspect ratio of your pictures in the camera.  If 16:9 isn't an option, you'll need to use a different camera.

Shooting RAW, you'll need to convert them to something else with Photoshop before you can bring them into PP  (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc.).  Because RAW images open first in CameraRAW, I don't know if that process can be batched or has to be done one image at a time.

Shooting JPEG, you can just bring the original images into Premiere Pro as an image sequence.  (See Help file for instructions.)

Shoot each image twice and edit at 24 fps.  (This will look more stilted than normal, but perhaps that's what you want.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the common frame rate for shooting is 12 fps, and for editing the sequence is 24fps. so you import the sequence, interpret it as 12fps, but use a 24fps sequence. there will be no difference in playback, as each frame will be duplicated once. as for presets, you can always choose a custom one.

also, here's a thread you might find useful:

Re: Help with Stop Motion Workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines