• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 failing to export large file

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting a large file as a PDF for print. It takes about an hour before crashing. Tried repackaging it but that fails, suggesting to export instead. Tried exporting as an EPS which also crashed. Both PNG and JPG export came up with "Exceeded maximum file size, try reducing resolution".

Tried embedding all the EPS and JPG links on the document, but that didn't change the result at all. After embedding everything the InDesign file size was 660MB.

Any idea why this would be failing to export?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of InDesign are you using?

What operating system?

What does that mean "a large file"? In terms of pages for example?

660Mb for a file with embedded pictures does not really shock me. It does not seem to be oversized.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the reply,

InDesign CC 2017.1 - Build 12.1.0.56

MacOS Sierra 10.12.4

If relevant, computer has a quad-core i5 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, SSD and GTX 775M 2GB graphics.

It's one page. The actual size needs to be 9m x 4.5m @ 120 DPI but I created it at a third of the size (3m x 1.5m) and set the DPI to 360.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with 2.7x8 m which is definitively to big for exporting as a pdf. you are scratching the design limits of PDF and JPEG files with this. For the JPEG file, you need to lower the resolution. I get this message when exporting to PDF:

The PDF is cropped at 5m.

Your specs should lie inside of what a PDF file can be.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. But the current document is at 3m x 1.5m -- so wouldn't that be in the correct range?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update the O/S to 10.12.5. Bug fixes in there that stop some InDesign GPU related crashes.

If that doesn't help, divide and conquer. Export half the file at a time and keep going until you find a corrupt asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried embedding all the EPS and JPG links on the document, but that didn't change the result at all. After embedding everything the InDesign file size was 660MB.

Try unembedding the assets so they are linked and convert the EPS files to some other format. If they are images save as .PSD from Photoshop, if they are vectors save as .AI from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines