• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a PDF/A 1b compliant document while signing with a SHA256 digital certificate?

New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The italian Public Administration requires signed PDF/A 1b compliant documents. I've upgraded my digital certificate to a SHA256 one. Can I still create a PDF/A 1b document (1.4 version) or the SHA256 certificate signature requires PDF/A 2b (1.7 version)?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Ok now I am getting your point! I did the same and when using a textual appearance the font is not embedded into the document by adobe acrobat. Which is in my opinion a bug.

FontMissing.png

Ok since Adobe Acrobat doesn't include the font - just use an image as appearance. To do that use the following steps:

1. In the signing dialog use the option "Create new Appearance"

Appearance1.png

2. Define a title, import any graphic and unclick all texstual elements like name, location etc.

Appearance2.png

3. Et voilà - your perfect valid signature 🙂

Appearance3.png

4. I

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF/A-1 document must use features only found in PDF 1.4. Or rather, a viewer must ignore everything else. A signature is not actually part of viewing though. This may be undefined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discussed the same question with Leonard a while ago:

SubFilter value algorithm support in PDF/A

This may give you some insight into the different aspects of this topic.

On a personal side note - after considering all points we decided that it is valid to use newer/stronger methods of encryption/hashing even if its PDF/A-1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

thank you for your suggestions.

I tried to create a signed PDF/A document with a trial version of Acrobat DC starting from a simple txt file.

I can create a PDF, convert it to a PDF/A 1b, but once I've signed it (with a SHA256 certificate) I can't convert it again to PDF/A 1b.

I receive the following errors:

"PDF document is not compliant with PDF/A-1b (2005)"

"Compressed stream object used"

"PDF/A entry missing".

Am I doing something wrong?

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting a signed file back to PDF/A is not possible since this most certainly would invalidate the signature.

I got it to work the following way:

1. Create a document which contains a signature field

2. Convert it to PDF/A-1b

3. Open it with Adobe Reader (DC) or Acrobat

4. Do not click on the "Enable Editing" Button

5. Right click on a signature field and a greyed out "Sign document" dialog will pop up

6. Create yourself a test certificate / use an existing if you already have one

7. Save the document and open it with Acrobat again and run the PDF/A-1b preflight check

8. Voilá a perfect valid PDF/A-1 document

It seems that Adobe Acrobat / Reader removes the PDF/A entry when clicking on "enable editing" - and since its not PDF/A anymore it can compress its streams ....

Screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

I don’t know how to create a signature field with Acrobat DC.

If I try to create a form then it is flattened during the PDF/A conversion.

While if I try to sign the document then an upload is requested (I would like to avoid that).

Thank you for your assistance.

[Private info removed. -Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

I've found out how to do it: you should add a signature with a certificate and then clear the signature (very handy, isn't it?).

Do you know another way?

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no no.

Just add a form field of the type signature. (Like you would add a text field)

1. Go to the form field mode:

Step1.png

2. select signature field

Step2.png

3. Place empty signature field on your page

Step3.png

4. Convert document to PDF/A-1b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

selecting Prepare Form I was asked to "Select a file or scan a document to begin" and to set or not the "This document requires signatures" flag. I set that flag so converting to PDF/A the created signature field was removed.

I successfully created a PDF/A signed document, but its version has always been, in all of its converting steps, 1.6 (not 1.4 as a PDF/A 1b document)!

Is it right?

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok do the following:

1. In the beginning your PDF does not need to be PDF/A-1b, so you can click on "Enable Edit" if your PDF is already PDF/A

2. After pressing on "Prepare Form" you are asked "Select a file or scan a document to begin" just select your document which is the left option (so not "Scan a document). You may have to save the document again...

3. Then you should be in form field mode

4. add a signature field

5. Now go to preflight and chose the option "Convert to PDF/A-1b

6. Everything should be working now

Can you attach a screenshot of the option "This document requires signatures" - I have never seen this before.

And does your 1.6 PDF document complies to the PDF/A-1b check? A PDF document doesn not necessarily need to have 1.4 version in the header if it fully compplies to PDF/A-1b....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

You can see the screenshot you requested attached.

About PDF/A 1b compliance, I’m sorry it isn’t. (screenshot attached).

Best Regards.

[Personal contact information removed by moderator]

Oggetto:  Can I create a PDF/A 1b compliant document while signing with a SHA256 digital certificate?

Can I create a PDF/A 1b compliant document while signing with a SHA256 digital certificate?

created by ToM_1st<https://forums.adobe.com/people/ToM_1st> in Security & Digital Signatures - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9534360#9534360>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no screenshot attached - please use the functionality provided by the forum editor....

I don't know who Oggetto is but as mentioned before: Yes you can (just follow the description) or can you post your PDF / is it downloadable somewhere? Then I can show you with your PDF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

I'm sorry the site was temporary OOS, so I sent an email with attachments as I was leaving my office.

PrepareForm.png

Compliance1b.png

Have a nice day.

Paolo Righi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

my PDF is nothing special: it comes from the conversion of a txt file with no meaningful contents.

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "This document require signatures" I don't see in my version of acrobat. Maybe you have a slightly newer one. So you say that your (empty) signature is removed during PDF/A conversion? That would be really strange. See a screenshot of the document after PDF/A-1b conversion. As you can see the empty signatures fields are still in there. Did you really follow my guide step by step?

Preflight.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ToM_1st,

if I don't set the "This document require signatures" all goes right, never mind about this flag ...

What I'm interested in is whether Acrobat can create a PDF/A 1b document with a SHA256 signature.

Starting from a PDF/A 1b document with a blank signature field I can sign the document, but it seems that the added text is created with a not embedded font causing the document not be convertable to PDF/A. Can I avoid the addition of text whose font will not be embedded or can I instruct Acrobat to embed the font of the newly added text?

Thank you for your help.

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now I am getting your point! I did the same and when using a textual appearance the font is not embedded into the document by adobe acrobat. Which is in my opinion a bug.

FontMissing.png

Ok since Adobe Acrobat doesn't include the font - just use an image as appearance. To do that use the following steps:

1. In the signing dialog use the option "Create new Appearance"

Appearance1.png

2. Define a title, import any graphic and unclick all texstual elements like name, location etc.

Appearance2.png

3. Et voilà - your perfect valid signature 🙂

Appearance3.png

4. If you look at the properties its a SHA256 signature

Appearance4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ToM_1st,

I successfully created a PDF/A 1b documents signed by a SHA256 certificate.

The PDF version is 1.6 (and not 1.4).

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Bye.

Paolo Righi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines