• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone a page to update (like a smart object would)

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a way to clone certain InDesign pages to print/export more than once. I tried "duplicate page" which copies it but if I update the original it doesn't update the duplicated page. I'm hoping for something along the lines of photoshops smart object type thing except with pages. Yes, I know master pages update pages using it but that seems like things would get complicated real fast as I'm already using master pages for the layouts/styles. Was hoping for something like the attached mock-up image with linked pages?

indesign-q.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three methods, from most ideal to least (depending on what you are doing).

You can use a Master Page, as you mentioned. InDesign files support multiple master pages, so you can reserve on for just this use.

Save the page as a separate document then import it as many times as you like. You can link to another InDesign documents just like graphics, but the important word is “another”. You can’t link to a page in the same document.

If the change is only to a bit of text you can use text variables. Update the variable to update all uses of it in your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi tomm,

As you already informed, using Master Pages would be the recommended workflow in order to achieve what you explained. You still can request a feature here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I submitted the feature request. These solutions may work for the time being but it still would be nice to have something with less of a workaround. Specifically if making and editing a card game with multiples of the same card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I submitted the feature request. These solutions may work for the time being but it still would be nice to have something with less of a workaround. Specifically if making and editing a card game with multiples of the same card.

If you are careful you can put objects with content to be edited on a master and those objects will respond to the master after the MP item has been overridden and edited.

So a master page with a title and background with a text frame for changing body content:

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 3.38.27 PM.png

Two page variants with the body text frame overridden and edited. When I overrode the text frame I was careful not to move it and just edit the text.

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 3.39.13 PM.png

I can then go back and change the master page objects (and the text's paragraph style to change color)

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 3.41.03 PM.png

The changes are applied to the overridden text frames

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 3.41.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I disagree. If you put content on a master page you will mix up content which should be on a page and orientation like page number and headers and footers. If you export a PDF/UA you have everything on the master.

Only linked content or alternative layout would help in this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also look at the Content Placer Tool which lets you create linked objects or page items within a document—a page's items could be grouped and placed as linked items, which can be altered and updated:

InDesign Help | Using the content collector and content placer tools

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.56.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.49.22 PM.png

links.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.50.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Additionally trying place and link Use linked content features in InDesign

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines