• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action not doing what it is set to do

Explorer ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an iMac I just purchased, and I'm using the latest version of Photoshop 2017.  I've been using Photoshop since about 1980. I created a resize action.  I set it up to upsize my photos to 12x18 (vertical) at 300 dpi.  I created a preset of these settings in the Image Size presets as well.  I also created one for my horizontal images to upsize to 18x12 at 300 dpi.

But, when I run the Actions, it changes my image to 18x12 (or 12x18), but it does it at 72 dpi...so it's actually shrinking my file size!!

I have retried it several times...using different names for the Action, restarting Photoshop, restarting my computer...every way I can think of.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Hi

There is no resolution setting recorded in your action

Try recording the action again but this time, when entering the values in Image Size, make sure that resample is checked and type in the value of 300dpi (even if the dialogue already says that)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you expand the action in the actions panel and post a screenshot

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 2.35.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There is no resolution setting recorded in your action

Try recording the action again but this time, when entering the values in Image Size, make sure that resample is checked and type in the value of 300dpi (even if the dialogue already says that)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that.  I did upload a screen shot showing the settings in the File Size dialog box...and I did choose 300 pxls.  I reset the 300 pxls each time I re-recorded the Action trying to get it to work.  But, I shall try again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The action should look like this (don't worry about the scale styles - that is just an option)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shall try and let U know!  Thank YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!  Thank YOU!

Laurie Ludes

[Personal information deleted by moderator]

'To the World, you may be one person...But to one person, you may be the World'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stay with me!  I'm working on it now...and I'm soooo frustrated!  Again...my sincere Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So here's what I did...EXACTLY, with a Vertical image. 

Open Image

Open Image Size

Un-check Resample box

Change Height to 18 in

Check Resample box

Next to the Resample box is a drop down, and in that drop down, Preserve Details (enlargement) is chosen

Set Resolution to 300

Dialog box shows that the Image Specs have changed from 34.7M to 55.8M

Dimensions shows 3614 x 5400 pxls

I then click on the Fit To drop down box, and choose Save Preset

I saved it as 12x18 V Resize

It saves the preset in PS>Image Size

I hit OK, and it does the task correctly.  My image is now resized.

But, when I try to create an Action, it makes it 72 dpi!

When I make the Action, I am choosing to use my 12x18V Preset.

Do U think it has something 2 do with the 'Preserve Details (enlargement) being chosen in the Resample drop down?

I'm so puzzled!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can reproduce this.

When you record the action using your custom preset it is not picking up the resolution change that is built into in the preset. So opening image size and choosing the preset works - running the action does not.

Rather than using the preset in your action, record the actual steps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked everywhere for the 'Constrain Proportions' option...but don't C it.  How R U adding that?

I will try again w/o using my Preset...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Constrain Proportions was picked up because I had the link checked in Image Size. It will therefore keep the original height to width ratio when I enter just the height

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I finally got it to work.  Basically, it doesn't allow you to create an Action using a Preset that you custom made.  If I just record the exact action steps...it worked.  Warning!  Do not try to create a resizing Action using a Preset that you custom made!!!

Thanks for all your help!! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That 'Worked' message was not meant to go here!!  Please don't think my issue is resolved. I was trying to respond to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines