• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping mask not working on stroke path in PS?

New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm a total PS noob and am trying to get this stroke path I created with the pen tool (which took me FOREVER to figure out how to do!!)  to also be gold. When I try a clipping mask on both the letters and the pen strokes it only works on the letters. What am I doing wrong?! Thanks for your any help/advice

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 8.17.37 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have kind of shot yourself in the foot by painting the brush strokes on the background layer.  They need to be on a layer of their own.  Even your clipping mask will only operate on the layer below — the one it is clipped to.  So what you have to do is select the text layer, and brush stroke layer, and make them a Smart Object.  It will work fine then

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have kind of shot yourself in the foot by painting the brush strokes on the background layer.

That might sound a bit harsh but it beautifully makes the point: If one wants to utilise Photoshop’s Layer functionalities one needs to actually work accordingly.

But assuming the strokes are black it should be a easy to load them as a Selection (with only the Background Layer visible cmd-click the composite channel in the Channels Panel), invert the Selection and create a Solid Colour Layer (Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Colour).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you have to do is select the text layer, and brush stroke layer, and make them a Smart Object.

Since a few Photoshop versions back one can clipping mask Layers to Groups so one could alternatively group the two Layers and use the Group as the basis of the Clipping Mask, but the Smart Object approach may provide other advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason to join the layers as a Smart Object is you can then you Layer Styles on the Object to enhance the effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can apply Layer Styles to Groups, too, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for all your suggestions/advice. It helps me up this steep learning curve immensely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines