Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto recovery - no folder, no recovery

Engaged ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

I've recently switched to Photoshop CC - also because of the magnificent auto recovery I've experenced on a PC at my workplace. Now, as "Select and Mask" has successfully BSODd my computer several times and there never was any recovery happening. I also found out there's no Autorecovery folder in the User profile.

Now, I've lived without any recovery since 1997, so I'm ready to take it, but is there a way to activate this feature? It seems activated in the preferences, but obviously isn't working.

Please advise.

Thanks!

[Moved from the Lounge (which is where you can "connect with your peers" from across all of Adobe's products for conversations that don't directly relate to help and support) to a product-specific support forum - moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Would recommend you to restore Photoshop Preferences Preferences in Photoshop and let us know if that helps.

\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 is the correct location.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi M_Schloegl,

Thanks for reaching out. Photoshop auto recover works when there is a critical Photoshop crash and there is a unsaved file in its "Background save" state.Take a look at this article Background save and autorecover and let us know if that's helpful.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have autorecover set to 10 Minutes interval. I've read there's supposed to be a separate folder where autorecovery data is being saved to (in the user folder), but it's not existing on my system. I've read other people creating said folder themselves, but still, autorecover wouldn't be performed, the folder would stay empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That folder is auto created by Photoshop in an event of crash. In the case of a BSOD, the files might have been damaged due to OS failure. Unfortunately, there is no way to recover those files. Also, Photoshop opens all the recovered files next time you open it after the crash.So, Photoshop would have recovered anything in the auto recovery folder, But if the files didn't make it onto the disk, then Photoshop can't recover them.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC has crashed on me several times before, better said, it didn't seem to react during "Select and mask", so I ended the process, before i figured out I mostly need to press escape and start over and over and over again. There was never any Autorecovery happening, not even a folder was created. And I'm talking about files that had been open for much longer than 10 Minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after a ight of select & mask BSODs, still no auto recovery whatsover EXCEPT once, a couple of days ago, which lokked as attachedPS_Autorestore.PNG

The only time in 12 crashes that SOMETHING happened.
I still can't find the folder, could you please specify where it's upposed to be? In othe posts withthe same problem I've read about C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 - is it stored somewhere else now? Because that recovered, obviously truncated file must have come from somewhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would recommend you to restore Photoshop Preferences Preferences in Photoshop and let us know if that helps.

\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 is the correct location.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. I've more or less had the same issue today. 

I'm drawing a poster for work and I've lost about 48hrs worth of drawing - please can someone help and advise? 
My dog stood on my keyboard, deleted a load of layers and set some sort of mask  and saved the file (i use a tablet and it's a one-button feature). I for some stupid reason just clicked escape rather than solve it. 

All my preferences are set up to auto-save at ten mins. I've searched high and low, but I do not seem to have an 'autorecovery foder'. After looking further, I found it in an separate folder in the :D, but it was completely empty. I did a quick test to see if it would save any files by simulating an OS crash and nothing was saved in that folder, despite that test file showing up when I opened PS again.

Can someone from Adobe please advise? So confused at why i have no autorecovery folders showing up that seems to store the actual files?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines