• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 hangs when entering or editing text

Explorer ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last two days I have suddenly encountered hanging of a minute or more whenever I enter or edit text in the current file I am working on. Any type of change to the text will result in a hang. I have already tried disabling the two check boxes on the Advanced Type window in Preferences (mentioned in another post in this forum) and that did not solve the problem. If I view Windows Task Manager while the hanging occurs, it says that the InDesign application is not responding. The problem seems to affect this particular file, and not others. This particular file is somewhat lengthy, in comparison to most others I work on, but it is still not that big - currently at 24 pages, It does have a lot of linked graphic files (115 at this point), but curiously moving or placing a linked file does not cause it to hang. I should also mention that the linked files are not on my C drive but instead are on a server, and I do occasionally encounter slowness with the server, but I am not encountering that now. And again, it is the text changes that cause problems, not graphics.

I am running InDesign on a PC Laptop.

I should also mention that I used encounter performance issues with InDesign, but they have gone away since I upgraded the memory to 16 Gig, so it is not a memory issue.

Please help! I am essentially dead in the water at this point on this project.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Just got off the phone with a tech support person at Adobe and for now, I appear to have solved the problem. The trick was to open a new document, and then use Move Pages to move the pages from the original document to the new one. According to the tech, this causes the document to "refresh". (Not sure exactly what that means). But after doing this, I am not encountering the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off some panels; especially the Preflight panel. Find the button on the upper left to click it off. What happens now?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preflight is already turned off. That is not the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info. I just tried exporting the file to idml and opening the idml file. That also did not solve the problem,. I really need someone form Adobe to respond to this and provide help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info. I saw another post on the forum from someone experiencing the same type of problem, which suggested trashing the Cache and Prefs. This person also said they talked to Adobe tech support who had them boot the PC in safe mode, open InDesign, move a few things arond in a doc, then reboot back in regular mode,. which seemed to fix their problem. I tried this. When I tried opening InDesign in Safe Mode, it LOCKED UP the PC!!  I have gone back to normal boot up and tried reopening the doc (since I did trash the prefs and cache). Still have the same problem.

The only thing I can think of at this point is to uninstall and reinstall InDesign but since the problem appears to be specific to one file, I am not thinking this will work.

Still waiting for some type of response from Adobe on this Forum!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for some type of response from Adobe on this Forum!!!

As a heads up, this is a user-to-user forum. Sometimes you may get a response from a member of the Adobe staff, but you will mostly be interacting with other users like you who volunteer to answer questions in their spare time.

I should also mention that the linked files are not on my C drive but instead are on a server, and I do occasionally encounter slowness with the server, but I am not encountering that now.

What happens if you package the file and work off your own local drive. Does that make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I posted my solution above, I would mention that I also tried copying the linked files to my C drive and relinking them. It did not help. Only "refreshing" the file fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off the phone with a tech support person at Adobe and for now, I appear to have solved the problem. The trick was to open a new document, and then use Move Pages to move the pages from the original document to the new one. According to the tech, this causes the document to "refresh". (Not sure exactly what that means). But after doing this, I am not encountering the lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines