• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot re-size a PDF in Acrobat and am getting an error each time, does anyone know why?

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to re-size a document from 8.5 inches by 11inches to 5.5 by 8.5 but am getting an error saying my file cannot be re-sized. Does anyone know why this is?

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to an Acrobat forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Yes you cannot make that size smaller. That's what I meant by "entries near the bottom". You must use the "margin controls" near the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

That's it, not the most obvious way to arrive at a target size. Bear in mind none of these options scale the page contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What version of Acrobat?

2. Resize how exactly? what function, exactly what options?

3. What is the exact error message, word for word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am using version 2017.009.20044.

The current size of my document pages is 8.5 inches wide, by 11 inches in length/height, and I am needing them to be 5.5 inches wide by 8.5 inches in length/height.

From what I have read via help already, to do this I select "crop pages" and then change the page size to the desired size.

When I do so, I get an error box and the exact text is "Page size may not be reduced".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is certainly one of the most confusing dialog boxes in all of Acrobat, because it tries to do so many different and unexplained things. I think you are trying to reduce the media box (entries near the bottom). You cannot do this. You have instead to crop the pages (entries near the top, or visual drag).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 4.06.50 pm.png

It is here that I am changing the "custom" page size but then getting the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you cannot make that size smaller. That's what I meant by "entries near the bottom". You must use the "margin controls" near the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see what you mean now. So it's a matter of reducing the margins by x amount of inches to get the right size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it, not the most obvious way to arrive at a target size. Bear in mind none of these options scale the page contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat DC Pro use the Preflight Tool for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To re-size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

To re-size?

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks,

I've just now had a look at this and cannot find how to do it, I've not used the pre-flight tool so will do some googling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines