2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2008 6:56 AM by

Occasional exception error occurs when executing a COM object

I'm running Coldfusion 8 and attempting to perform address lookups via Satori Software's Mailroom Architect database.

6 times out of 10 the address is returned, but other attempts result in the following:

An exception occured when executing a COM method.

The cause of this exception was that: AutomationException: 0x80040400 - Unknown exception in SearchAddress. in MRTKUKLib.MRTKUKPostCode.1

I've reinstalled the Mailroom Architect software and ensured that the COM objects are registered. I'm baffled how it can work frequently, but then occasionally fail. I'm running a high-volume website, could this be an issue?
        • 1. Re: Occasional exception error occurs when executing a COM object
          insuractive Level 3
          Possible.

It could also be choking on something in the data you are passing to the COM object. I would surround the code that calls the COM object with an error handler that emails you the address information you are sending to Mailroom Architect when it chokes. See if you notice any patterns. Could be a pound sign in the address or a stray apostrophe? or maybe even some non-ASCII text?
          • 2. Re: Occasional exception error occurs when executing a COM object
            Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been on a mini-holiday.

This is the error I'm getting. Remember, this is only happening infrequently, but often enough for me to be unable to put it live. I don't know if anyone out there can make sense of this.

TIA for any help.

====================================

An exception occurred when executing a COM method.
            The cause of this exception was that: AutomationException: 0x80040400 - Unknown exception in SearchAddress. in 'MRTKUKLib.MRTKUKPostCode.1'.

Stack Trace
            at cftestPAF2ecfm2046004872.runPage(D:\Websites\PBMarine\Ecommerce\testPAF.cfm:20) at cftestPAF2ecfm2046004872.runPage(D:\Websites\PBMarine\Ecommerce\testPAF.cfm:20)
            AutomationException: 0x80040400 - Unknown exception in SearchAddress. in 'MRTKUKLib.MRTKUKPostCode.1'
            at com.linar.jintegra.Invoke.g(Unknown Source)
            at com.linar.jintegra.Dispatch.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at com.linar.jintegra.Dispatch.invokeMethodByName(Unknown Source)
            at coldfusion.runtime.com.ComProxy.invoke(ComProxy.java:578)
            at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2260)
            at cftestPAF2ecfm2046004872.runPage(D:\Websites\PBMarine\Ecommerce\testPAF.cfm:20)
            at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:192)
            at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:366)
            at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
            at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:279)
            at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
            at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
            at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86)
            at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
            at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:2 8)
            at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
            at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
            at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
            at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
            at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175)
            at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
            at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
            at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42 )
            at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
            at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
            at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
            at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
            at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
            at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:284)
            at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
            at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
            at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
            at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
            at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
            at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)